• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Libya
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

• Post Thanks / Like

Please ckeck and judge my writing

Why I am Learning English!!?

Numerous people learning English for some reasons; to get a better job, to be able to communicate with other people from different countries, and some considered as a hobby and learning English for them is the best way to bring their skills into live.
    For me, what is driving me to become skilled in English is some mixed purposes from all above reasons. However, when I was a beginner, I did not have that full image for a specific target and I think that is what most beginners' thoughts.
    But, when I went further, the picture became clear, also, the language became harder and more interesting too.
    Now, my short term aim is to accomplish advanced level in the four skills (Listening, reading, writing, and speaking), and get score seven in IELTS test.
    And, my long term goal is to be able to manage those four skills proficiently.
    Surely, the definite reason is to acquire a better job so as to improve my live.
    For that, I set two ways for this achievement; to continue my higher education, and to be able to immigrate to a native English speaking country.
    Now, I spend much time learning English that ever before and from day to day learning basis, I could notice where I am going.
    At the end, I think, there are needs for everyone that required some efforts.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please ckeck and judge my writing

I'll start:
    Numerous people learning- this should be learn/are learning
    considered- tense and missing pronoun
    into live- wrong word form

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Libya
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tdol,
    numerous, it'sa word recently I've learnt and I wanted to use it to memorize it.
    into live; I coouldn't find the right expression ,I knew it's a weak form.
    But, how do you see my overall writing??

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zaed_salah
    Thanks Tdol,
    numerous, it'sa word recently I've learnt and I wanted to use it to memorize it.
    into live; I coouldn't find the right expression ,I knew it's a weak form.
    But, how do you see my overall writing??
    Hi zaed_salah,

Your writing is intermediate - it is raw and unpolished, but it is good enough to be understood, and that is a major achievement. In order to improve, you now need to spend more time reading and listening to native English writers and speakers. Try to pick up the common patterns that are used by fluent speakers - you should be at the stage where you can understand them, so it is simply a matter of familiarity and practice.

I have rewritten your passage, substituting what I think are more natural expressions where appropriate. Compare it with your original, and see if you can see why the changes were made. If you can't see the reason, I will try to explain.

Numerous people are learning English for very different reasons: some to get a better job; some to be able to communicate with other people from different countries; and some simply as a hobby, because learning English for them is the best way to realise their skills.

For me, the motivation which drives me to become skilled in English is a mixture of all of these. However, when I was a novice, I did not have that clarity of thought, and I think that is common to most beginners.

But as I progressed, the picture became clearer; additionally, the language became harder and more interesting too. My short-term goal now is to achieve an advanced level in the four skills of listening, reading, writing, and speaking, and to get a score of seven in the IELTS test.

My long-term goal is to be able to manage those four skills proficiently.
    Sure, the real reason is to acquire a better job so as to improve my life.
    To that purpose, I have set myself two targets: to continue my higher education, and to emigrate to a native English-speaking country.

Now I spend more time learning English than ever before, and on a day-to-day basis I can see where I am heading. In the end, I think, we all have individual needs, and they all require effort.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Libya
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot Coffa, that is really helped me and gave me an idea about my writing,.
    That is exactly what I need.
    I have a (big) difficulties in writing; I know the word, but,when I am writing I can't remember how its spellin.
    I coud not avoid repeating same words, because I think I have a lack in synonym.
    Also, what is make me frustrated that I knew that the expession I used is not appropriate,
    but I can not find altrantive expressions,.
    I can see that the word is on the tip of my tongue, but, unfortunately, never come.
    Moreovere,choosing formal and informal words.
    which best ways to solve all those problems?
    Regarding your reply, I have some points that I hope you make them clear for
    me.
    What is more formal; Also or additionally, and what is the difference between them?
    Novic, it's guite new word for me, is it more formal?
    What is the difference between; score seven and a score of seven.
    Why you used SURE instead of SURELY.
    is definite have much emphasis than real??

Lastely, pleae correct my writing, even questions like those.

Again, thanks alot
    Last edited by zaed_salah; 10-Jun-2006 at 02:55.