• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default grammar

I have come across the following multiple choices and feel confused. I try to analyze them. I picked the two that are confusing the other two choices are abosolute wrong.

1. After_______for the job, you will be required to take a language test.
    a. being interviewed b. interviewed
    The key is a. But I think both are correct. 'being interviewed' is participle while 'interviewed' is an elliptical sentence. There is another sentence ' Michael used to look hurt and surprised when scolded. Here 'when scolded' is the same as 'after interviewed'. Am I right?

2. _________ in an atmosphere of simple living was what her parents wished for.
    a. The girl's being educated b. The girl educated
    The key is a. But I think b is also correct. 'A' means her parents wished for an stmosphere of simple living while 'b' means her parents wished for a girl who is educated. Am I right?

3. _________ that man has learned much from the behavior of animals is hardly new.
    a. That b. What
    The key is 'a' while I think 'b' is also correct. 'a' is a subject clause. And the sentence means it is a fact that man has learned much from the behavior of animals. 'b' means The fact that man has learned much form the behavior of animals was known long before or is nothing new. Am I right?
    Last edited by jiang; 08-Dec-2006 at 14:04.

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

(bumping topic to let our teachers see it)
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red5
    What do you mean?

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by jiang

The key is a. But I think both are correct. 'being interviewed' is participle while 'interviewed' is an elliptical sentence. There is another sentence ' Michael used to look hurt and surprised when scolded. Here 'when scolded' is the same as 'after interviewed'. Am I right?
    An elliptical sentence only works if the unstated words are understood. Also, for your comparison to be valid you would have to use after in both sentences. Your example sentence is perfectly idiomatic, but we wouldn't say Michael used to look hurt and surprised after scolded. However, Michael used to look hurt and surprised when interviewed, while it might seem like an odd statement, it would probably be understood.

Does that help?

:)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red5
    What do you mean?
    When somebody posts to a discussion that "bumps" that one to the front of the line (so to speak). (Red was probably unaware that we had already dealt with those questions.)

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

An elliptical sentence only works if the unstated words are understood. Also, for your comparison to be valid you would have to use after in both sentences. Your example sentence is perfectly idiomatic, but we wouldn't say Michael used to look hurt and surprised after scolded. However, Michael used to look hurt and surprised when interviewed, while it might seem like an odd statement, it would probably be understood.

Does that help?

I am afraid I have to make sure that I understand you perfectly. Is this what you mean:
    The sentence 'After being interviewed for the job, you will be required to take a language test' is idiomatic. The sentence 'After interviewed for the job, you will be required to take a lnaguage test ' can be understood but it not idiomatic. Then is the second sentence correct? If not does it have something to do with the conjunctions 'after' and 'when'?

Jiang
    Last edited by jiang; 08-Dec-2006 at 14:06.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

Does that help?

I am afraid I have to make sure that I understand you perfectly. Is this what you mean:
    The sentence 'After being interviewed for the job, you will be required to take a language test' is idiomatic. The sentence 'After interviewed for the job, you will be required to take a lnaguage test ' can be understood but it not idiomatic. Then is the second sentence correct? If not does it have something to do with the conjunctions 'after' and 'when'?
    The example sentence I was referring to is Michael used to look hurt and surprised when scolded. If you fill in the "missing" words that reads:
    • Michael used to look hurt and surprised when he was scolded.

'After interviewed for the job is not something I would expect somebody to say. It is not idiomatic English and thus it would, in a sense, require some interpretation. Thus the use of that phrase would create somewhat of a barrier to communication.