Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, I am helping my school in a English Play competition in Korea. We are doing a play which has the word 'scroll' many times. My students are Korean. Korean does not have R and L sounds but something in between. The tongue gymnastics required to make the word 'scroll' is very difficult for them to make. I have worked for two months and seen a lot of improvement but it is not perfect. We are in the provincial finals so I want to help them do even better. Any advice for improvement??
Thanks!!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Would it be breaking the rules to alter the text?

J

J&K Tutoring

Tdol- It may be that a part of the competition is in how teams handle difficult (for Asians) English words like scroll.

Eightate8: Try breaking it into parts, practice the parts, and then put them back together again. Often, it's best to start in the middle and work both ways.

Scroll: ssss cuh rrrr oh wul

My Chinese students can growl like a tiger: RRRRR! Start with that. Then the O (that's relatively easy). Then work on transition from r to o: er (stop) oh, again and again. Gradually drop the stop between the two sounds. Then drop the schwa from the er.

Bring in the k and bring back the schwa: kuh (stop) er (stop) ow. Then put the s in front: s-kur-row...

Lalalalala. My students can do that. L is easy(er) at the beginning of a word, but difficult at the end, so add a schwa for practice. If you have them at skur-row, then add l(schwa) at the end. skur-row-luh.

It can be very useful to practice this word in tandem with the following word in the script. My students are always amazed when I tell them that what we say in English is not the same as what we write. If the next word in the script begins with a vowel sound, then have your students take the L off of scroll and put it on the next word: 'scroll up' becomes 'scro lup'- much easier to say!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.