Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hear I'll post questions on slangs and cuts from texts.
Particularly, what does mean slang "thangs out"? In context: When they run up on you wit them thangs out.
And sentence : If there's beef, cock it and dump it, the drama really means nothin
???
It does not mean I like it or I support it. But I'd like to understand everything

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Hear[/STRIKE] Here I'll post questions on [STRIKE]slangs[/STRIKE] slang/slang terms and [STRIKE]cuts[/STRIKE] excerpts from texts.
Particularly, what does [STRIKE]mean[/STRIKE] the slang term "thangs out" mean? [STRIKE]In[/STRIKE] Here is the context: "When they run up on you wit them thangs out."

And this sentence : "If there's beef, cock it and dump it, the drama really means nothin".
[STRIKE]???[/STRIKE]
It does not mean I like it or I support it but I'd like to understand everything.

In your first sentence, "wit" means "with", "them" is sub-standard and used instead of "those" and "thangs" is a somewhat phonetic spelling of an American pronunciation of the word "things". In normal English, the excerpt would read "... when they run towards you with those things out". Without knowing who they are or what those things are, it's impossible to say what it actually means.

In your sentence example, are you sure it said "cock", not "cook"?

Note my corrections to the rest of your post, marked above in red.

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Excuse me for errors in writing. I'll try to to get your ajustments of my writing. Thanks for that. I'm only learning. Grammar was the last thing on my progress in english, cuz I spend most attention on acquiring vokabulary base and learning to understand speech on musics and films. Excuse again.
The context is from music lyrics and I'm sure word is "cock" in prononciation too.
I anticipated the first excerpt would be that: When they run up (I clearly understand the meaning "run up") on you with them would not be a mercy. I think it from "thanks". Cuz they are very agressive and cruel men from context.
I suspect the cock arrive from vulgar meaning of that word.

Last edited:

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you! I'll try to get it too. "Because". Corrected!
What does also the "beef" in this sentence mean?

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Quote: (Aye you want some of this "bad thing"
Naw, I don't want that "bad thing"
I don't give a .... , I don't play dat "bad thing"
And I'm fin'nin to buss a cap in a "one person")
Some offensive "words" has been replaced.
Prononsiation of the first sentence doesn't match the text.
What does 'I dont play that 'bad thing' in "I don't give a .... , I don't play dat "bad thing"mean? I don't use it?
And the next sentence: And I'm fin'nin to buss a cap in a "one person" What does it mean?

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you! I'll try to get it too. "Because". Corrected!
What does also the "beef" in this sentence mean?

It's a variation on the more standardized idiom 'have a beef with someone', meaning to have a problem, argument, disagreement, etc. with somebody.

Used correctly, songs and videos can be useful learning tools (I'll use them in my own classroom), but I'd really suggest you avoid certain styles of music, such as rap and hip-hop which use non-standard English and are full of slang.

Unless your goal is to sound like some kind of gang-banger or you think it's desirable to try and pass yourself off as some kind of faux gangster, I highly question the value of trying to learn from songs from "artists" such as 50 Cent....

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Again, the problem is that this is all non-standard English, and even considering that, his pronunciation is so non-standard it's difficult to transcribe. I question whether the person transcribing the lyrics is a native speaker, also.

Without listening to the actual song and transcribing it myself (which I absolutely refuse to do) I can't really comment on the accuracy of the transcriptions.

Quote: (Aye you want some of this "bad thing"
Naw, I don't want that "bad thing"
I don't give a .... , I don't play dat "bad thing"
And I'm fin'nin to buss a cap in a "one person")
Some offensive "words" has been replaced.
Prononsiation of the first sentence doesn't match the text.
What does 'I dont play that 'bad thing' in "I don't give a .... , I don't play dat "bad thing"mean? I don't use it?

It's all bad transcriptions of the phrases "I don't play that game", meaning 'I'm not interested in doing what you want to do, or doing it in the manner you wish.'
And the next sentence: And I'm fin'nin to buss a cap in a "one person" What does it mean?

Again, he was actually saying 'fixing to bust a cap', which is rap/gansta slang meaning to shoot somebody.

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Their pronunciation is very unclear for me. That's why I chose rap music. If I can get used to this type speech I can easily understand every unclear speaking. I tried to listen some people. They speak fast and very unclear, not like on learning materials and like narrators. By the way, on them I acquire "links" to new idioms and expand my base. It doesn't mean that I support and like this music and the manner of speech.

Last edited:

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
And I chose afroamerican performer because their pronunciation and style of speech very specific and hard understandable for me. American english harder for perception because of very unclear pronunciation and fast speaking of native speakers. I can easily understand not-native speakers, because they speak like me)) UK english very easy for comprehension, too

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Their pronunciation is very unclear for me. That's why I chose rap music. If I can get used to this type of speech I can easily understand [STRIKE]every[/STRIKE] any/all unclear [STRIKE]speaking[/STRIKE] speech. I tried to listen to some people. They speak fast and [STRIKE]very[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]unclear[/STRIKE] they don't speak clearly, not like people do on learning materials and like narrators. By the way, [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] through them I acquire "links" to new idioms and expand my knowledge base. It doesn't mean that I support and like this music and the manner of speech.

And I chose an Afro-American performer because their pronunciation and style of speech is very specific and hard [STRIKE]understandable[/STRIKE] for me to understand. American English is harder [STRIKE]for perception[/STRIKE] to perceive because of the very unclear pronunciation and fast [STRIKE]speaking[/STRIKE] speech of native speakers. I can easily understand non-native speakers (no comma here) because they speak like me. [STRIKE]))[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]UK[/STRIKE] British English is very easy for comprehension, (no comma here) too.

See my amendments to your posts above. You seem to have some problems with your use of articles and verbs. Perhaps you should spend more time listening to native speakers using correct, grammatical English before you try to move on to this type of material.

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Of course I have. First vokabulary, then grammar

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Of course I have. First vocabulary, then grammar.

And spelling. ;-)

Enhancing your vocabulary is great but if you can't connect all the words you know and make a grammatical sentence, the vocabulary isn't of much use to you.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are of course free to choose whatever vocabulary you wish, and I agree vocabulary expansion is critical, but again, I'm not sure how useful this vocabulary is. It's certainly not vocabulary you'll likely ever be using in conversation.

In fact, attempting to use it might just get you strange looks at best and at worst, beaten or shot.

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You don't understood. Most of you teachers here, right? And I'm pupil here with great experience. I'll try to explain. When you live in a country where no one speak in foreign language, in order to effectively study and progress in it, you must place yourself in such enviroment where you'll be surrounded with language speakers. You must know that same word you can say in many ways. When you familiar with all this ways of pronunciation of the word, you can easily perceive everyone with all ways and manners of speech. For instance: the same word a can easily perceive from one person and ever not know about what talk another. Only way to know it is to read it on lyrics or subtitles (movie). All this types of pronunciation information of one word saving in our mind with association to the one. My be you think that one type associatied is enogh? It will result in pecieiving. That's why I try to create enviroment with speakers with all types of pronunciation. My be "50 cent" is not a best choice, but I not found anything else on that kind of pronunciation. He says many normal english words on his manner of pronunciation. I think, its useful for me. And by the way of listening I studing meanings of what I listening. Without it there is no thing to what attach version of pronunciation in the mind.
And after that only I filled a progress in perceiving and memorizing of words and expressions. You saying grammar? Look, how child progressing in acqiring language skills. First he styding words and sayings and learn to perceive people without that boring rules, that can easily cause aversion of some kind of pupils, I think. Only when he acqired that skills he began to study rools in a school. In that acpect I'm a child because, I'm growth in enviroment where I havent that experience which have American or UK people from childhood.

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Communication with you useful for me too.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The language used in rap is often what is known as an anti-language. This is a form of slang that uses the words from the mainstream language, but uses them in a way that is closed to outsiders. This means that even when you are clear on the words that are being said, the meaning may escape you. For example, once you work out that buss is a way of saying bust, it doesn't help unless you know that the phrase to bust a cap is to shoot someone. You're dealing with more than one level of complexity here- the pronunciation plus a very heavy use of slang that requires a knowledge of what they mean with those words. He may, as you say, use many normal words, but the way he's using them may be something very different. Anti-languages are meant to be hard or, preferably, impossible for an outsider to understand.

Last edited:

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
And spelling. ;-)

Enhancing your vocabulary is great but if you can't connect all the words you know and make a grammatical sentence, the vocabulary isn't of much use to you.
How to connect them I'll learn from listening language carriers. For that I must to learn to perceive them. I hope you get now connection.

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The language used in rap is often what is known as an anti-language. This is a form of slang that uses the words from the mainstream language, but uses them in a way that is closed to outsiders. This means that even when you are clear on the words that are being said, the meaning may escape you. For example, once you work out that buss is a way of saying bust, it doesn't help unless you know that the phrase to bust a cap is to shoot someone. You're dealing with more than one level of complexity here- the pronunciation plus a very heavy use of slang that requires a knowledge of what they mean with those words. He may, as you say, use many normal words, but the way he's using them may be something very different. Anti-languages are meant to be hard or, preferably, impossible for an outsider to understand.
My be it is so. But such persons often in the movies that I watch and I'd like to know about what they talk. My nature is such to know everything even grammar when its time approached.

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My be you advice me anything else with such manner of pronunciation and speed then? I mean pronunciation not with his slangs that is closed to outsiders.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't speak for anyone else here but I am going to be unable/unwilling to answer your questions on this forum. There are two reasons for this:

1 - I am one of those people who doesn't understand most of the terms used in rap.
2 - I would spend so much time correcting the English used in your questions, that I would have no time to help anyone else.

You might think it's OK to deal with the vocabulary of language (and anti-language) first and worry about grammar later. However, leaving questions constructed as yours are here, uncorrected, might lead other learners to think that there are no errors in your writing. It would be a disservice to them if we didn't point out all the errors in punctuation, spelling and grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.