Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I understand this idiom means to believe in what somebody is saying. Does it also imply that this 'somebody' can be held responsible / face the consequences (whatever these may be) for saying something which turns out not to be true? If not, is there an English idiom which combines the two meanings?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, there could be consequences associated with that phrase: loss of reputation, loss of friendship, etc.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Jarek Steliga:

I am replying only because I thought that you would like to know another expression with a somewhat similar meaning.

Mona: I wonder who is going to be elected president in 2016.

Raul: _____ _____ will be elected. Period. End of discussion.

Mona: Are you sure?

Raul: You can take it to the bank. (I guess that "it" refers to Raul's confident prediction.)

(If Raul turns out to be wrong, will he "be held responsible"? I will let you decide for yourself.)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not always true. "I did not cheat on you with Marsha. Take my word for it." But he did cheat. "I supported you for student council president. Take my word for it." But he supported someone else.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Your comment made me realize that we are probably speaking here of two very distinct idioms/expessions/situations (however in my opening post I clearly referred to only one of them).

1. "Take my word for it" - meaning, you may depend on what I say (and the possibility that what I say is in fact wrong is not even taken into consideration)

2. "I will take your word for it" - meaning, I accept what you are saying as the truth, but if what you are saying should actually turn out to be wrong, I will come back to you and confront you, demand an explanation, hold you responsible for possible unpleasant consequences resulting from your mistake or lie (and I take MikeNewYork's word for this ;-))

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree that it is the context that determines the responsibility- if I say I will take my lawyer's word for something, it would have a far greater responsibility attached than if I take a friend's word for something in a pub.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.