Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This thread might be something the moderators don't want to see but this will probably be my last thread. To me, when I hear "because", it says "what happen to you before you did this". What do you think?

and moderators, if you don't want to answer, let others try because you're not helping by deleting or closing threads.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mawes, your last thread with this title was deleted. If you continue to press the issue, you will get yourself banned. It is not just the moderators who are tired of this issue.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You, Piscean, The Moderators are the ones who think I shouldn't talk about this. I didn't see Mathew complaining and he was trying to understand but y'all just don't try a lot, y'all stop and think you are saying what you should say or what should be done, and then feel like doing what you want to stop me. If you are someone who doesn't want to answer, you don't have to. I like to see answers but I don't know why people have to reply to something they don't like when they can just ignore it.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So be it. I don't think you have any idea how irritating your threads have been. It is time for you to wake up.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You, Piscean, The Moderators are the ones who think I shouldn't talk about this. I didn't see Mathew complaining
Please note that the ones who think you shouldn't talk about this are somebody, but the only one who does not complain is a nobody on this forum.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are not a nobody, Matthew. You are an asset.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is not that the moderators do not want to help you, mawes. It is that part of our job here is to prevent threads from becoming unnecessarily long, confusing and irrelevant. Continually asking the same questions over and over, even if they are slightly reworded, is not helpful for anyone. There is no reason why most of your threads should have run to 5 pages of posts. It seems that each time you are given a perfectly acceptable, reasonable answer, you become somewhat argumentative and sometimes you don't seem to believe that we know what we're talking about.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This thread might be something the moderators don't want to see but this will probably be my last thread. To me, when I hear "because", it says "what happen to you before you did this". What do you think?
No, "because" usually introduces a reason or a causation. It's a not a time marker.
"I fell, because I tripped" is probably the sort of thing you're thinking about.
"I study because I want to pass the exam" does not fit your plan.
"I hope she comes because I love her company." Doesn't fit.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
To me, when I hear "because", it says "what happen to you before you did this". What do you think?
I think the following 'because' refers to what will happen to me after I did it.
'I packed because I will go on a trip.'

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To me, when I hear "because", it says "what happen to you before you did this". What do you think?

I'm not going out because it's raining.

That says to you what happen to you before you did this- a superb analysis that covers all the bases.

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The etymology of because according to The New Penguin Dictionary, 2000 edition : "[Middle English because that, because, from by cause that]"

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please note that the ones who think you shouldn't talk about this are somebody, but the only one who does not complain is a nobody on this forum.

Matthew, To me, everybody is the same because they can move and die so some can basically move the same and they are all human. Some people just have different thoughts and others have the same. I like to hear all the answers because they might have an answer that should be said or done. And even if you don't have the answer that should be done/said but you do what is right, To me, you are a good and reasonable person and I think that is important in life.

It is not that the moderators do not want to help you, mawes. It is that part of our job here is to prevent threads from becoming unnecessarily long, confusing and irrelevant. Continually asking the same questions over and over, even if they are slightly reworded, is not helpful for anyone. There is no reason why most of your threads should have run to 5 pages of posts. It seems that each time you are given a perfectly acceptable, reasonable answer, you become somewhat argumentative and sometimes you don't seem to believe that we know what we're talking about.

I believe and agree to what you are saying but I just think that there might be another way/thought to do/say it.

Last edited:

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not going out because it's raining.

That says to you what happen to you before you did this- a superb analysis that covers all the bases.

Are you lying?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think Tdol was lying; I think it was sarcasm.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The red part below was added by me, and I guess it is the implied meaning. Please tell me whether I have guessed correctly.
That says to you what happen to you before you did this- a superb analysis that covers all the bases, which does not sound plausible to me.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have you any follow-up questions to the responses to your original question. If so, now is the time to ask them.

Then my next question is do you think "because" can have a time order or the same time order as "before", "when", and "after"?

I think I asked this before but some of you said no..

If he is, it's because of something you did before.

What did I do?

I don't think Tdol was lying; I think it was sarcasm.

Isn't that the same?

and I was lying/being sarcastic when I liked your post on #4 because I didn't understand what you said.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, lying and sarcasm are quite different.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Then my next question is do you think "because" can have a time order or the same time order as "before", "when", and "after"?
Raymott already told you in post#8 that it's not a time marker.

Status
Not open for further replies.