raelynn Guest

Default Declarative- Simple-Compound-Complex-Compound-complex

Hi, is this a Declarative sentence?

I am furious because that man hit my new car.

========================

Are the following sentences correct?
    Simple-Compound-Complex-Compound-complex

1.It seemed to the students that the school year would never end, but they continued to study in order to pass with honors. ( A compound sentence)

2. It seemed to the students that all they did was study and prepare for their examination. ( Simple sentence)

3. All the students and their teachers worked hard, looking forward to the completion of the school year. ( Complex sentence)

4. The teachers joked and laughed at the end of school, and the students shouted and clapped their hands. ( (Compound sentence)

5. Did you think that the students did as well this year as they did last year? (Simple sentence)

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Declarative- Simple-Compound-Complex-Compound-complex

Quote Originally Posted by raelynn

Yes.

I think all of your sentences are correct.

:D

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a way to tell. Look at the punctuation. :D

Declarative
    ends in a period (.)

Exclamatory
    ends in an exclamation mark (!)

Interrogative
    ends in a question mark (?)

Imperative
    ends in an exclamation mark (!) or a period (.)

The difference between declarative sentences and imperative sentences is that imperative sentences don't have subjects. For example, the sentence below ends in a period (.) and has a subject (I) so it's declarative.

"I am furious because that man hit my new car. "

========================

I agree with RonBee. :D

1. It seemed to the students that the school year would never end, but they continued to study in order to pass with honors. (A compound sentence)

=> 'but is a compound element (OK)

2. It seemed to the students that all they did was study and prepare for their examination. (Simple sentence)

=> One sentence--It seemed this. (OK)

3. All the students and their teachers worked hard, looking forward to the completion of the school year. ( Complex sentence)

=> One independent and one dependent (OK)

4. The teachers joked and laughed at the end of school, and the students shouted and clapped their hands. (Compound sentence)

=> 'and' is a compound element (OK)

5. Did you think that the students did as well this year as they did last year? (Simple sentence)

=> One sentence--I think this. (OK)
    :D

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Declarative sentence:
    • I am.

Imperative sentence:
    • Go!

(Brevity is the soul of wit.)

:wink:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raelynn View Post

========================

1.It seemed to the students that the school year would never end, but they continued to study in order to pass with honors. ( A compound sentence)

2. It seemed to the students that all they did was study and prepare for their examination. ( Simple sentence)

4. The teachers joked and laughed at the end of school, and the students shouted and clapped their hands. ( (Compound sentence)

Hello Raelynn,

#3 is actually incorrect; it is a simple sentence. Simple sentences have one independent clause. Complex sentences contain one independent clause and one or more dependent clauses. The sentence has one independent clause and no dependent clauses, so it is simple. REMEMBER, VERY IMPORTANT clauses must have a subject AND a verb!!!
    INDEPENDENT CLAUSE- All the students and their teachers worked hard
    PHRASE (DOES NOT HAVE SUBJECT) - modifies the subject of the sentence (All the students and their teachers) - looking forward to the completion of the school year

#5 is quite a difficult sentence. When you are confronted with an interrogative (question) sentence, rearrange it into a statement likeso:
    You did think that the students did as well this year as they did last year.
    This sentence is NOT simple, it is complex because it can be divided into one independent and two dependent clauses.
    INDEPENDENT- You did think
    DEPENDENT- that the students did as well this year
    DEPENDENT- as they did (well) last year
    Notice that if you remove the bolded words from the dependent clauses, they would become independent - they would be able to stand alone because they would express complete thoughts. However, with "that" and "as" introducing the clauses, they do not express complete thoughts and they are dependent. I placed the (well) in parentheses in the second dependent clause because it is not actually there, but it is understood to be there because you are comparing how well the students did. I put it there so you could see more clearly that the clause could actually stand alone.

Regards,
    Hounddog
    Last edited by hounddog55; 03-Jan-2007 at 02:05. Reason: I wanted to add some more information about the phrase.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Hounddog.

Thank you for the corrections.

All the best.