Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear all,

I'm reading The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters. At one scene, the landlady Frances and her mother were talking about their lodgers, who were a young couple. And it goes:

‘Didn’t they tell us that they’d been married for three years? Straight out of the War, I suppose. No children, though.’ Frances said.
Her mother’s tone changed slightly. ‘No.’ And after a second, the one thought plainly having led to the next, she added, ‘Such a pity that the young women today all feel they must make up.’
Frances reached for the book. ‘Isn’t it? And on a Sunday, too.’
She felt her mother’s level gaze. ‘Don’t imagine that I can’t tell when you are making fun of me, Frances.’

I can't be sure about what "make up" mean in this context. It seems it's unusual to "make up" on a Sunday. At first I thought she might be refering to "wear makeups", but then I don't understand how the thought of "no children" can lead to wear makeups. Can anybody help me understand what they were talking about here?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Had the young couple been making love noisily and frequently - making up for lost time ​after the war?

J

J&K Tutoring

I'm not familiar with this story, but I guess it's set during or immediately after World War 2. What the writer means is: women felt they should do something to repay the men for taking the risks of war. What could they do? Offer their bodies. And Frances' mother thinks that it's a pity.

The times the writer speaks of were long before my time, but I imagine it was considered not quite proper to think about or engage in sexual activity on a Sunday- even if you were married.

Status
Not open for further replies.