Unregistered raheela Guest

Default replying to jury service

i am replying to the jury officer as i cannot attend the jury service, i am appelaling against their decision as i am self employed and do not know what to write as i want to sound foraml.
    can you help me pls?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: replying to jury service

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered raheela
    i am replying to the jury officer as i cannot attend the jury service, i am appealling against their decision as i am self employed and do not know what to write as i want to sound formal.
    can you help me pls?

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know your location, but make sure you follow the proper procedures in attempting to get a jury deferral. If you're not excused and you don't report for duty, you may be in contempt of court.

In your letter, explain to the Court that you respectfully request to be deferred from jury duty, as you are self-employed and the only employee of your business. Completely closing your business for any length of time would cause you financial hardship.

Good luck!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not a simple matter to be excused from jury service, or even to obtain a deferral. Here is a site about it:
    http://www.cjsonline.gov.uk/juror/
    The basic assumption is that people should do jury service as a civic duty. It seems to me that you are looking for excusal on the grounds of being self-employed, not just a deferral. Look at this (http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/juryservice05) from the Brtitish Medical Association about the issue- it is a legal issue and there is more to it, I'm afraid, than simply writing a formal letter. It says you would need to need to demonstrate unusual financial hardship before excusal could be considered. To be honest, I would ask a lawyer about how to do this- they will know the system and exactly what to say or not.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In response to tdol, I guess it all depends upon where the OP lives.
    I received a jury summons earlier this year, and it lists various reasons for which you can receive a deferrment. True, it's not the same as being totally excused from jury duty, but in the US, it might as well be, because you probably won't be summoned again for several years. I have Lupus and was able to provide a doctor's note to defer me from jury duty. I've only ever been summoned one other time, and that was back in 1981, so that gives you an idea of the time lapses in the US jury pool.

However, I reiterate - follow the instructions of your summons to the letter. Mine specified that you cannot phone or email your request; it had to be in writing either by mail or by fax.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

The grounds given, self-employment, suggested to me that the poster was after excusal. I have never been summoned, so don't know the grounds listed for deferrement, and don't know whether self-employment per se would be acceptable. If not, then they would have to priovide a reason that is acceptable from the list if they can.