Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Another good example of a man with a tenacious perseverance is Mr. Chris Gardner, CEO of stock-brokerage firm, Gardner Rich & Co, Chicago, Illinois. During the early 1980s, he struggled with homelessness while raising his infant son, Christopher, Jr. Gardner credits his tenacity and meteoric success to the "spiritual eugenics" handed down to him by his filial mother, Bettye Jean Triplett.

Despite having an unhappy marriage and her long periods of absence, Bettye Jean was a true source of gallant inspiration and strength to her son Chris. She encouraged Gardner to believe in himself, and sowed the seeds of self-reliance and confidence in him.

Gardner quotes her as saying, "You can only rely on yourself. The cavalry ain't coming". Gardner also knew about the detrimental effects of alcoholism, domestic abuse, illiteracy and powerlessness from his early experiences, and they were things he wanted to avoid in the future.

Are there any errors?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It reads very well. I am just curious as to the reason you used "filial". It seems to me that "mother" was sufficient.

kuben123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thank you Mike.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What about "filial"?

kuben123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I guess filial wouldn't be appropriate here.You were right.Thank you for pointing it out.

Kuben

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I guess filial wouldn't be appropriate here. (Space required after a full stop.) You were right. (Space required after a full stop.) Thank you for pointing it out.

Kuben

Remember to put a space after a full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.