Hybrid View

• Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I need someone that wants to review my thesis research

As I said before, I am doing my thesis research, about a compartive study of English and Spanish metaphoric language in every day speech, as a previous step to obtain my Bachelor's Degree in Teaching English as a foreign Language, if you are interested in knowing about ecuadorian culture and want to help me to review my work please write.
    My thesis was already checked by my advisor, and it had some mistakes, I checked it again, but I need a point of view of native speaker.

thanks

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need someone that wants to review my thesis research

Quote Originally Posted by vinicio
    As I said before, I am doing my thesis research, about a compartive study of English and Spanish metaphoric language in every day speech, as a previous step to obtain my Bachelor's Degree in Teaching English as a foreign Language, if you are interested in knowing about ecuadorian culture and want to help me to review my work please write.
    My thesis was already checked by my advisor, and it had some mistakes, I checked it again, but I need a point of view of native speaker.
    thanks
    Hi vinicio
    Do you mean to 'review' or to 'proof-fread'.
    IMHO, if it is just to check the English, grammar, spelling, etc, that is to proof-read.
    One has to be well-versed with the technicalities of your research to be able to carry out a proper 'review' of your thesis.

• Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: I need someone that wants to review my thesis research

Thanks TEDTMC
    Please, that is part of my work, and I follow a model to analyze every metapor, nevertheless, I need to write it with more synonimos in order to explain it. Could you check the grammar, spelling, etc.
    DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS OF RESULTS
    In this analysis, semantics and pragmatics were considered in a sociolinguistic environment.
    Semantics, as we mentioned in the theoretical Frame, and according to Stewart & and Vaillete (2002), is the study of meaning in language, and besides it deals with the meaning of words, and how the meaning of sentences are derived from them”.
    In order to understand the semantics, we have to analyze the words in terms of connotation, which according to Kate (1998), “refers to the associations that are connected to a certain word or the emotional suggestions related to that word”, and denotation which according to Chandler (2002), “tends to be described as the definitional, literal, meaning of a sign, and in the case of linguistic signs, the denotative meaning is what the dictionary attempts to provide”.
    In relation with Pragmatics, Stewart & Vaillete (1987) Editors say that, “to understand the meaning of a sentece, we must understand the context in which it is used.
    “Comes de pavo”
    This metaphor occurred in a restaurant, during the lunch time.
    There were a group of friends from 30 to 40 years old, two men and three women, they seemed to be colleagues, and they were talking about different topics.
    In middle of the conversation, a man, approximately 35 years old, said “comes de pavo”.
    The man’s purpose of using this metaphor, was to express his annoyance to a woman who was eating with them,.
    The woman was around 30 years old, listening this expression, said that, though she was not going to pay for the lunch, she had the right to express her disagreement about the food, and the other colleagues agree with her.
    The way the man said the metaphor, was not emphatically, but the woman’s reaction was unexpected, because the man wanted to embarrass her.
    The conversation was informal, and after some comments about the food, it changes to another theme.
    Semantically, “pavo” (turkey) in a dictionary, refers to a large North American bird with brownish plumage and a bare head and neck.
    On the other hand, considering the pragmatic analysis, this expression was used to denote that, someone eats without paying for it.
    I think the man used this metaphor, because he considered that, the woman had not right to say anything.
    The man uses an animal as a element to express this metaphor in a sarcastic way, but it can be used to express other intentions such as excitement.
    This metaphor is very common between friends and member of the family, especially with adult people in all cultural background, in this case low.
    “Comes de pavo” is an expression that I have heard for at least 25 years. In this case, it was applied at a solidarity level, because it was a group of friends having similar age and cultural background, so the solidarity was reflecting friendship.
    To summarize, this metaphor incorporates an animal to express sarcasm and it can be used between family, friends and colleagues at all cultural background.
    “Eres puerco”
    This metaphor occurred in a party that was celebrated at home, there were people of different ages, and they were enjoying the party, suddenly, my nephew, who was playing on the floor, got too dirty, his brother approximately 19 years old, looking what happened, said: “eres puerco”.
    The purpose of using this metaphor, was to express his annoyance, because his brother, was supposed to maintain a good behavior.
    My nephew, 7 years old, listening this expression, stood up, and said, I’m so sorry, and left the room, the other members of the family, did not take care about what happened.
    The man said the metaphor emphatically, and he looked very annoyed, one the other hand, the child looked very freighted.
    Semantically, “puerco” (pig) in a dictionary, refers to a any swine, esp. A young domesticated hog weighing less than 120 lbs. (54kg). On the other hand, considering the pragmatic analysis, this expression was used to denote that, a pig is synonymous of dirt, in this case the boy looked very dirty.
    The brother used this metaphor, because he considered that, his little brother, had to maintain a good behavior, and not get dirty in the party.
    This speech act was informal and uses an animal as a element to express aggressiveness.
    This metaphor is accepted between close friends and member of the family at all cultural background, in this case is low.
    I have heard this expression for at least 20 years. In this case it was applied at a solidarity level, because the metaphor takes place at home with the family, where the members do not take care about their speech.
    To summarize, this metaphor uses an animal to express aggressiveness, and it was developed in a low cultural background.
    “La chica es una jirafa”
    This metaphor occurred in the park of my neighborhood in the south of city, it was approximately 5 o’clock in the afternoon.
    There were a lot of people in the park, children and adults from different ages, and different cultural background.
    In the corner of the park, a big woman crossed in front of to men, and one of them who was approximately 45 years, said: “la chica es una jirafa”.
    The man used this metaphor, in order to express his admiration for the height of the woman, in this case we can note that, a woman’ response was not expected, because, she did not take part of the conversation.
    The other friend around 50 years old, listening this expression, said, you are right, this woman is a giraffe, and adds, she could be from another country and the conversation changed to another theme.
    The conversation was informal, and the friends looked very excited and happy.
    Semantically, “jirafa” (giraffe) in a dictionary, refers to a tall animal, long necked, spotted ruminant of Africa.
    Pragmatically, this expression was used to denote that, a giraffe is synonymous of height, in this case the girl was very big.
    The man used this metaphor, because he considered that, the woman was too big, so he addressed her with this expression.
    This metaphor uses an animal to express admiration on the girl, but it can express other intention such as aggressiveness.
    This metaphor is accepted between friends and family’s members, and it can be used at all cultural background, in this case middle.
    “La chica es una jirafa” is an expression that I have heard for at least 20 years, and it can be modified according to the people’s intention, for example: “la chica es un jirafon”.
    The metaphor was applied at a solidarity level, because it takes place between two friends in the park.
    In conclusion, this metaphor employed an animal to express admiration, and it can be used between family and friends at all cultural background.