Thread: hullo

1. ana laura

Question hullo

hi
    I need your help with phrasal verbs. I have some problems. I study the phrasals the teacher gives me with their meanings, but when the test comes sometimes I don't realise to put the 'correct' phrasal in the 'correct' gap. understand what I mean? sometimes the context changes and I don't realise to put the correct phrasal verb although I studied it. I am 18 and it's my first year at collage and study lot's of phrasal verbs now is a mess for me.
    eg:

-get around=become known. Can i say? 'the news/the problem got around in 1998.'
    - could you tell me the differences between 'hold against' and 'turn against'?
    - take sth apart= dismantle. I know it can be an engine but what else??

thank you very much
    Ana Laura

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: hullo

It's a common problem- there are thousands of phrasal verbs and it takes time to get used to them and to acquire a sense for them. Reading widely will help as you will see them in context.

-get around=become known. Can i say? 'the news/the problem got around in 1998.' Yes
    - could you tell me the differences between 'hold against' and 'turn against'? If I hold something against someone, I am angry about a specific issue- something bad they have done to me and which I haven't forgiven. If I turn adgainst someone, I attack them and am hostile to them. I can hold something against someone without turning against them because I could only be upset on that one issue.
    - take sth apart= dismantle. I know it can be an engine but what else?? You can take apart anything mechanical, but also if you destroy someone's argument, you can take their argument apart.
    Practice here
    http://www.usingenglish.com/referenc...zes-verbs.html
    and here
    http://www.usingenglish.com/quizzes