View Poll Results: That should have given you ___ to finish.

Voters
744. This poll is closed
  • enough time

629 84.54%
  • time enough

57 7.66%
  • Either [please explain]

58 7.80%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Enough

csharp is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Enough

enough + nouns: I have enough time to go to the station.
    adj + enough : I'm old enough to solve my problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    I think either is possible, but enough time is more usual. I think time enough is an example of inversion (change in the normal structure of a phrase) that is done for effect. Example:
    • There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

What say you, teacher?

:)

i agree with you enough time is more usual.

Ashok K Thapa is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Nepali
      • Home Country:
      • Nepal
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted time enough....

Post Thanks / Like

I also voted for "enough time":)

JACOOL is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think both are correct, yet the first one"enough time" sounds more familiar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isra View Post
    enough time: I voted...and I was wrong..
    It is not possible to be wrong on this poll and I would dearly love to know why this very enigmatic phrasing was chosen to teach English learners and what was the intention of the lesson.
    English is sprinkled with so many iconic references to time enough that I would always choose it in preference to enough time as I think it sounds more elegent.
    We have already been referred to Kenny Rogers and his very famous song The Gambler.
    Robert A Heinlein wrote a seminal book in the 60s called Time Enough For Love.
    I can not place it but 'time enough' sounds like a Shakespearean construction.

What is the point of this poll? It has already left at least one English learner feeling unnecessarily sad and questioning of their English ability.

Is there a message hidden here that my almost 50 years of English can not divine??

Post Thanks / Like

Well, when it's being used as an adjective, it would ordinarily come before the noun anyway, wouldn't it? Perhaps the point is to test one's knowledge of the fact that it sometimes follows the noun, for poetic effect? (And why is that, anyway? Times like this I wish I was a teacher, perhaps I might know. You can say "bread enough" but not "bread stale." Is it because it indicates amount?)

.,,, I think conversing with you must be delightful if you take such care to be elegant as to choose to say "time enough" whenever the opportunity arises. Please do not be sad. And re the Bard, are you maybe thinking of Marvell?

[native speaker & writer, not a teacher]

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for "enough time" for it sounds so familiar though I feel I read of "time enough" somewhere in some of my books.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    .,,, I think conversing with you must be delightful if you take such care to be elegant as to choose to say "time enough" whenever the opportunity arises. Please do not be sad. And re the Bard, are you maybe thinking of Marvell?
    My thoughts are that this will be an ephemeral discourse.
    I have been here just about long enough to figure out that this joint is the same as the past three I have been in and the tense indicated indicates the current state of affairs between the parties concerned.
    I do not care for mum and dad looking over my shoulder and I can feel maiden aunts in this place as everywhere on the suspiciously moral morally suspicious fecklessely inconsistent web.

I have noted some very strange definitions of idioms and phrases pontificated from upon high with eager learners just lapping it up but I would fail the question not the student in many cases. My guess is that I am shortly to become persona non gratia but your compliment has not fallen on deaf ears and has very much improved an otherwise very grey old day for me.
    Thanks mate.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by .,, View Post
    Is there a message hidden here that my almost 50 years of English can not divine??
    How about the Either [please explain] option, which seems to have passed you by? Some might feel that this, together with its being in the section for Advanced learners, could suggest that the intention of the poll was to go beyond the low level rule that many are taught about word order with enough and to promote discussion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast