Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think either is possible, but enough time is more usual. I think time enough is an example of inversion (change in the normal structure of a phrase) that is done for effect. Example:
  • There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

What say you, teacher?

:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree and voted for this. With 'time', this usage is fairly common. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Did you vote for the first one or the third one?

:?:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I voted for the first one.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's the safest answer, but in a thread with space for further comment, I felt the third option was OK.;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
From a Google search:
  • enough time -- 651,000
    time enough -- 58,300

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The first form is the standard one and follows the general rule of enough + noun, but the other form does show that it is not a fixed rule.;-)

Isra

Member Type
Student or Learner
enough time: I voted...and I was wrong..:cry:

csharp

Member Type
Student or Learner
enough + nouns: I have enough time to go to the station.
adj + enough : I'm old enough to solve my problem.

Epica

Member Type
Student or Learner
I think either is possible, but enough time is more usual. I think time enough is an example of inversion (change in the normal structure of a phrase) that is done for effect. Example:
  • There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.
What say you, teacher?

i agree with you enough time is more usual.

Ashok K Thapa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Nepal
Current Location
Hong Kong
I voted time enough....:-D

JACOOL

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I think both are correct, yet the first one"enough time" sounds more familiar.

Member Type
Other
enough time: I voted...and I was wrong..:cry:
It is not possible to be wrong on this poll and I would dearly love to know why this very enigmatic phrasing was chosen to teach English learners and what was the intention of the lesson.
English is sprinkled with so many iconic references to time enough that I would always choose it in preference to enough time as I think it sounds more elegent.
We have already been referred to Kenny Rogers and his very famous song The Gambler.
Robert A Heinlein wrote a seminal book in the 60s called Time Enough For Love.
I can not place it but 'time enough' sounds like a Shakespearean construction.

What is the point of this poll? It has already left at least one English learner feeling unnecessarily sad and questioning of their English ability.

Is there a message hidden here that my almost 50 years of English can not divine??

Delmobile

Member Type
Other
Well, when it's being used as an adjective, it would ordinarily come before the noun anyway, wouldn't it? Perhaps the point is to test one's knowledge of the fact that it sometimes follows the noun, for poetic effect? (And why is that, anyway? Times like this I wish I was a teacher, perhaps I might know. You can say "bread enough" but not "bread stale." Is it because it indicates amount?)

.,,, I think conversing with you must be delightful if you take such care to be elegant as to choose to say "time enough" whenever the opportunity arises. Please do not be sad. And re the Bard, are you maybe thinking of Marvell?

[native speaker & writer, not a teacher]

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I voted for "enough time" for it sounds so familiar though I feel I read of "time enough" somewhere in some of my books.

Member Type
Other
.,,, I think conversing with you must be delightful if you take such care to be elegant as to choose to say "time enough" whenever the opportunity arises. Please do not be sad. And re the Bard, are you maybe thinking of Marvell?
My thoughts are that this will be an ephemeral discourse.
I have been here just about long enough to figure out that this joint is the same as the past three I have been in and the tense indicated indicates the current state of affairs between the parties concerned.
I do not care for mum and dad looking over my shoulder and I can feel maiden aunts in this place as everywhere on the suspiciously moral morally suspicious fecklessely inconsistent web.

I have noted some very strange definitions of idioms and phrases pontificated from upon high with eager learners just lapping it up but I would fail the question not the student in many cases. My guess is that I am shortly to become persona non gratia but your compliment has not fallen on deaf ears and has very much improved an otherwise very grey old day for me.
Thanks mate.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is there a message hidden here that my almost 50 years of English can not divine??

How about the Either [please explain] option, which seems to have passed you by? Some might feel that this, together with its being in the section for Advanced learners, could suggest that the intention of the poll was to go beyond the low level rule that many are taught about word order with enough and to promote discussion. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.