Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
It means you are asking someone what they are thinking about in a particular moment. You have noticed your friend is very quiet and isolated, so you say:

*You have been very quiet today ………. a penny for your thoughts! (In Italian: Un soldo per i tuoi pensieri/Pagherei per sapere che cosa pensi)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is your question?

SimonettaFra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Sorry Skrey, I must have used this forum improperly. I'm a teacher and I wanted to share this idiom. Where should I go to input my teaching posts? thank you for your help. Simona

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Just make it clear that you are introducing an idiom and not asking a question about one. Welcome to the forum. :up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means you are asking someone what they are thinking about [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at a particular moment. You have noticed your friend is very quiet and isolated (this isn't really an appropriate word for this scenario), so you say:

*You have been very quiet today ………. a penny for your thoughts! (In Italian: Un soldo per i tuoi pensieri/Pagherei per sapere che cosa pensi)

Sorry [STRIKE]Skrey[/STRIKE] Skrej. Perhaps I [STRIKE]must have used[/STRIKE] didn't use this forum [STRIKE]improperly[/STRIKE] correctly. I'm a teacher and I wanted to share this idiom. Where should I [STRIKE]go to input[/STRIKE] put my teaching posts? Thank you for your help. Simona

Please note my comments and corrections above. Your member profile says that your native language is English. Is that true?

Status
Not open for further replies.