Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    eric2004 Guest

Get back to our learing topic. xixi.

Sir tdol, you'be been very kind and you really give me very effective answers for my questions. Thank you a lot.

Sir Ron, you can spare your time and energy if other teacher has given me an answer. You really need take days off, I think. You've been the busiest man here. Please take your time, because maybe I have to trouble you FOREVER.

Ps, indeed, various English expression is wonderful for all of you, but for me, 5555, I almost spend my youth remebering it. Heng, do you think you can make up for my youth, Sir? Anyway, that's interesting too. I'm gonna study oral english and writing skills more carefully and deeply in the near future. Maybe poems? do you like that? Maybe I can translate some chinese poems for you watching. At least, Chinese poems in ancient time are very fantastic.

Sir. CitySpeak, new teacher? Nice to meet you. Which city you've been living?

Sir or Madam? 555. I don't know how to say female teacher, but in 20s' of the last century, Chinese would call both male and female teacher as "Sir"

So Sir Casiopea, Thank you for the past. It's remarkable for my skills of depicting chart writing with your help. I'd been weak in that until you and Sir Ron corrected my descriptive essay. Japan is the mightest nation in Asia, have a good time there.

For all teachers, wow, you suggested too many types of dictionaries. I wish I can get one in China. Thank you all.

Btw, do you like "FRIENDS"? There are many weird speaking expressions. 555. Sometimes American guys laughted loudly, but even I know the direct meaning of their speaking, I'm still not sure how funny it is. 555. language and culture gap.

Anyway, that's a wonderful TV series. I'm about to find "the Ten season" in China website (pirated CD.555. I break the laws.Hmm. In China, anyone has such experience. )

And Chinese will show it in the next year. I'm actually wondering how dealing with those "sex topics" in there. ( you know, Chinese are very conservative) We'll see and I will tell you about the feelings of common Chinese towards that. Haha, amusing thing.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

All of your post is interesting. I would definitely like to hear what you have to say about China and the Chinese people.

Coincidentally, I recently found a site with some Chinese poems translated into English. I posted a link to it in the Poetry and Writing folder. (You can click on the link attached to my signature and it will take you there.)

:)

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested to see some Chinese poetry. I know very little. At school, i hada teacher who was crazy about Japanese haiku, but that's about as close as I have got to your poetry I'm afraid.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the one I posted in the Poetry and Writing folder. It seems to be a pretty good translation, but of course I don't know what it was in Chinese. However, the English is not bad.

• Alone Looking at the Mountain

All the birds have flown up and gone;
      A lonely cloud floats leisurely by.
      We never tire of looking at each other -
      Only the mountain and I.

By Li Bai

http://www.chinapage.com/poem104.html

There are quite a few more poems at the site. There is also a link to China the Beautiful, which is a really nice website about China.

eric2004 Guest

Xixi, your example is not very popular, but that poet was one of the greatest poets in china history.
    But frankly, it's weird. I feel English cannot express that poem's extended meaning well. all we can see is only a translation of words. Maybe it's because we have the different cultural background.

Chinese prefer to talk about something indirectly, like metaphor. But westerns would like to say that directly. Anyway, maybe it's just due to my lack of appreciating western poems.

In that peom, poet wanted to say he felt very lonely. Nothing but he was living or traveling in "JING TING" mountain. Li Bai has been called "God of poet" by Chinese. And there is an interesting anecdote: he can only write fantastic poems after he's drunk. Once time China emperor asked him to write a poem, he demanded the most beautiful wife of that emperor ground Chinese ink for him and meanwhile, the most powerful eunuch who was beloved by that emperor must take Li Bai's shoes off (that's a very humuliated thing for that eunuch).

In Chinese poems, you can find the number of words every line matches each other, which is a very important and evident feature of poem, not like western poems, you don't care about that.

And because of that reason, Chinese poets often put great emphasis on the choice of word. Sometimes they would think about whether one word was wonderful in their poems during a long term. So in China, poem is a mere classical and great culture heritage of ancients. But unfortunately, now nobody is able to reach the same level as ancient poets, because today's person cannot devote themselves all to poems.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eric2004
    Xixi, your example is not very popular, but that poet was one of the greatest poets in china history.
    I only looked at a few of the poems there. Hopefully, I will have time to go back to that site. (Say: "Chinese history")

But frankly, it's weird. I feel English cannot express that poem's extended meaning well. all we can see is only a translation of words. Maybe it's because we have the different cultural background.
    I am sure you are right. Poetry often doesn't translate well from one language to another. Poetry often tends to be culture-specific.

Chinese prefer to talk about something indirectly, like metaphor. But westerns would like to say that directly. Anyway, maybe it's just due to my lack of appreciating western poems.
    That's a wonderful story, and you tell it well. :D

(Say: "A person today can't devote himself entirely to writing poetry." (or "writing poems"))

I think word choice is important in all poetry.

eric2004 Guest

5555. Sir. Why nobody wanna talke with me in ICQ? Even some Chinese-American don't reply my msg. Is there some attractive sentences for meeting new people ?

eric2004 Guest

Hi, do you wanna know a chinese guy me?
    btw, can you see me?

That's my message. I don't know why no American girl reply me. 55555

Hmm, I've been bothering girls aged between 16-22, is it a bad thing?

Hong Kong Chinese Guest

Hi, do you wanna know a chinese guy me?
    btw, can you see me?
    As a Chinese origin, I hate to say but I must say a few words. This forum is supposed to invite anyone interested in learning English to post questions about English. To seek love, I think ICQ is more appropriate.

My friend, I am sorry for my bluntness!

eric2004 Guest

Cyberlove?
    You get me wrong. I just wanna meet people in chatting way. For one thing, it can help me to use english and know different culture, opinions towards something. For another, chatting is a more instant way for communicating.

I seek a girl because, from my experience, opposite sex can be more attractive to each other.
    You don't have such experience that other guys don't wish to talk to you in QQ (chinese icq)?

Anyway, don't be so serious,ok? Learning is not studying,right?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast