• Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eric2004
    Chinese experienced a humiliating history in the last two centuries and once upon a time, China was the mightest nation in the world, like Tang Dynasty and Yuan Dynasty. So among Chinese we have a very special and weird feeling now which mixed with self-humiliation and self-esteem. Of course both of them are very extreme. And the wrong thing for American is you are the mightest nation now, your citizen can enjoy the freedom and democracy, and you have saved the world like you said. So you can get to learn now why Chinese hate you guys and call you hegemonic nation or strong politics ( I don't know how to translate these two words, which are very popluar in China to describe the US. Hmm, bad words, of course). Sigh, anyway, in essence Chinese just feel very jealous about what you've got in the world and despise but actually envy the position of America.
    I'm not a historian, but I do know that at one time China was the most advanced country in the world. Technologically, it was more advanced than any country in Europe. It seems that one of the reasons for the big change is that China stopped trading with other countries. In any case, change is one thing we can always count on.

(Please correct me if I have any of my facts wrong.)

But from my part, I don't wanna be involved into patriotism things. I hope the US won't give up attacking such power because they would still be a threaten for the whole world in finance, politics, safety or even survival. (especially Nuclear power in North Korea, I suggest you ought to attack this nation like you treat Iraq, and surely it's more crucial than Iraq thing.)
    If the world needs a leader, then no other nation but the US can be that because your political policies. You will never creat a dictator like Hitler because if someone wanna be like that you can make him out of power. )But you have also been enduring a lot of condemnation or even being killed.
    Believe it or not, we are really not interested in invading other countries.

Even those of us who were in favor of the war with Iraq did not feel that way because we like war. Also, even if we wanted to, we wouldn't be able to knock off every dictator in the world.

Some great news recently, by the way, was the completion of the road from Kabul to Kandahar (in Afghanistan). They are gradually making progress there with a little help from their friends. :)

Btw, I'm not a racist, patriot or nationalist, so I don't hate you. xixi. I only hate the dictator, you know who he is. Mao zedong, Deng Xiaoping, Jiang Zemin, none of them are wiser leaders. In China, only one person deserve my respcet forever, he was named " Sun ZhongShan", the mere great man in 20 century in China.
    Might that be the person we know in the West as Sun Yat Sen? (I'm not sure I spelled that right.) He was a great philosopher, wasn't he? Isn't Confucianism still popular in China?

:)

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sigh, two Sir. That's why I'm not happy to live in China.

Many Chinese envy you and wanna kill you.
    I think the one thing Americans don't understand is why people hate us. Of course, what I mean is that we don't understand why some people hate us. I think perhaps it is as you said that is what we stand for more than what we do.

I don't hate any people. I don't know why I should. I think most Americans feel the same way I do.

It's a crazy country with insane citizens.
    That's rather clever.

:wink:

TTYL

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I express my views in public, I would be beaten or even murdered probably. So what I wanna do is to escape. For that I can do anything except break the laws.
    Speaking out against the government is not safe in China, is it? In this country (USA) people are free to criticize the government. They are free to criticize the president. They are free to disagree with the government's policies. I wonder what happens in China to someone if he publicly disagrees with the government's policy towards Taiwan, for example. Might that person be mistreated for expressing such views?

Hmm, frankly, you should be aware of Chinese patriots. They're hysteric.
    The word you are looking for there is hysterical. Are there any Chinese who still believe in Communism?

And thank you. Sir Ron, I'm gonna keep your essays in my computer. Happy to communicate with American guys. xixi. over 30 is not a guy anymore?
    What did I write that was so interesting?

No, I'm still a guy.

And you're cetainly proud of being American. Unfortunately, I've been never proud of being Chinese since I was 13 when I read some forbidden books in China. And I feel very tired to argue this topic against my citizens.
    I'm curious. Can you tell me what books those are?

In fact, most of Chinese admire the power, not the freedom. Maybe sometimes I can translate an interesting writing for you. Xixi, sarcastic essay. There are still some wise people who do not give up their hope----make China a free and democratic nation, not including me. I've given up.

Good to talk to you, Sir.
    Please do. I'd like to see that essay.

TTYL

eric2004 Guest
    Crying, Sir. I'm so sorry because I'm reading an essay written by an American-Chinese. He said asking other's age is a taboo in the US.
    My god, I didn't know it can be so serious.
    I'm sure now I must offend you before many times. Right?
    You should know I respect you and like you, Sir.
    Pls forgive me that cultural gap.

I'm gonna answer your questions this afternoon. Now it's early moring in China. 555, I stayed up late again. But happy to see your post here. Sir.

Have a happy day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sir, new question here.

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    With the first one ("I'm going to travel overseas") the speaker is fairly certain that it is going to happen. Also, while the time of departure could be as much as a year away, it could be within the next week.
    The important thing to remember when using the "prospective form", that is, "going to", is that we use it to talk the about future based on current evidence. For example,

I'm going on holiday next week (I've booked the tickets already)
    It's going to rain (I can see clouds)
    I'm going to be sick (I don't feel right)

The second one ("I shall (will) travel overseas"), I think, expresses less certainty, and the time of possible departure is probably more distant than the other one.
    This brings me to two points, normally in speech we use 'll instead of will. In speech we only use the full word when we want to express some extra meaning. For example.

Son: I'll do my homework in a minute.
    Father: Why not do it now?
    Son (angrily): I said I will do it in a minute!

will and 'll don't have the same meaning. will being more certain than 'll.

Coming back to will: we use will when we talk about two states, one of them centred in the present time. It expresses the speaker's opinion or judgement that the matter is inevitable. Not less certain as RonBee suggested. We usually use it to express time, but this not always the case. For example,

I'll be there in a second. (time)
    They'll be there by now. (position)

The third one ("I will be traveling overseas") expresses great certainty, and the speaker is probably fairly certain of his destination.
    This example uses a combination of "will" and the duritive form (be +ing). The duritive form can sometimes be used to express the future, but not always. For example,

The train is leaving any second. (good)
    It's is raining tomorrow. (bad)

The fourth one ("I am about to travel overseas") not only expresses certainty, but also the departure time is probably qute soon.
    This uses "about to" which as RonBee explains means on the verge of doing something.

Also on the list of future forms is the present tense:

The train leaves at 5 a.m.

In general, the speaker uses the present tense when (s)he conceptualises that the action as a fact. Some examples:

The sun shines.
    The wind blows
    The future is rosy.
    I go to work at 7 a.m.

Iain

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crying, Sir. I'm so sorry because I'm reading an essay written by an American-Chinese. He said asking other's age is a taboo in the US.
    My god, I didn't know it can be so serious.
    I'm sure now I must offend you before many times. Right?
    You should know I respect you and like you, Sir.
    Pls forgive me that cultural gap.

I'm gonna answer your questions this afternoon. Now it's early moring in China. 555, I stayed up late again. But happy to see your post here. Sir.

Have a happy day!!!
    It's taboo to ask someone's age in this country (USA)? That's the first time I heard of that. Some people are reluctant to tell their age sometimes, but that doesn't mean asking about it is taboo. (By the way, do you know where English got the word taboo?) As far as I know, you haven't offended anybody.

How about a story? At one time I had a sister-in-law who was from Austria. (She has since passed away.) Anyhow, I thought it would be fun to talk to her in German. I decided to ask her her age. Well, I used the polite form ( Wie alt sind Sie?). but she still wouldn't tell me.

Is that a good story?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't say that asking age is taboo, but it isn't a common thing to do socially, except with children.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps you could tell us more about Chinese cultural traditons. I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about such things. Just anything you can think of that you think might be interesting.

eric2004 Guest
    Two Sir. Thank you for replying my post.

Sir Ron, the story you told is very weird. You're the relatives but she didn't wanna tell you her age? yep. there are a lot of difference between western culture and our culture. I will try to explain them well to you some day. I hope I can do it successfully so that you can understand me.

1, He really said it was a taboo. (certainly I know its meaing. If I offend yourtaboo, you may kill me. xixi.right?)

2, Hmm. As far as I'm concernd, I'm one of few people who don't support invading Taiwan.) and if I said so in public, Chinese will curse me or beat me. And if I tell them why I think so, like Tai Wan is a only place where Chinese can enjoy the democratic right and freedom, I would be arrested and my parents can never know where I go.

3.Frankly, there are still many people who believe in communism. Apart from idiots among them, others only wanna make use of this theory for interest of their own, for communists in China can have great benefits and power.

4, Your essays stand for a symbol that I knew your thoughts. It's great.

5, Any sort of books which include the content of criticizing communism and communist would be forbidden in China. eg. Chinese are unable to see TV programms shown in even Hong Kong.

6, Cry. Sir, you got me wrong. Mr. Sun is a great man who ended the feudality of China, and not care about his own benefits. He's the creator of Chinese modern society.

7, Certainly I agree with you. It can be imagined that Iraqis and Afghanistani are gonna have free and happly life. I knew from a news that women in Afghan now can play soccer and don't need cover a veil anymore.

8, I hope you can help Taiwanese, even they call people from mainland as Pig. I felt a little hurt of course because they behaved the similar with those patriots in China. Both of them only know despise the whole race. That's stupid and shameful.

9 China media like broadcasting bad news from the US, xixi, so in China, people think most of Iraqis hate you. haha. China media are a political tool for the government. I don't trust them. You can know this point in the example of SARS.

10 Confucianism, hmm, I hate it but it's still not out of date in China. Some people think it can make human being very peaceful. But I think it only can make people timid and conservative. There is a opinion that Chinese are fond of old things, recalling the past, respecting ancients but you, American adore new trend, enjoying challenge. right?So you can always achieve your goals and Chinese can only have the past accomplishment.

I will tell you culture of China sometimes. Xixi. you would have a surprise probably. Very different. If you never heard something in China, you would be shocked. haha.

See you next time, Sir.

Sir tdol, is it polite?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sir Ron, the story you told is very weird. You're the relatives but she didn't wanna tell you her age? yep. there are a lot of difference between western culture and our culture. I will try to explain them well to you some day. I hope I can do it successfully so that you can understand me.
    Women are "funny" about telling people their ages sometimes.

1, He really said it was a taboo. (certainly I know its meaing. If I offend your taboo, you may kill me. xixi.right?)
    No, I wouldn't say that it is a taboo not to ask someone his age. That's putting it too strongly. A person may or may not tell you, but most people will not be offended by that question. Something closer to a taboo would be using the "f word" in polite company.

By the way, the word "taboo" comes from Tonga, an island in the South Pacific.

2, Hmm. As far as I'm concernd, I'm one of few people who don't support invading Taiwan.) and if I said so in public, Chinese will curse me or beat me. And if I tell them why I think so, like Tai Wan is a only place where Chinese can enjoy the democratic right and freedom, I would be arrested and my parents can never know where I go.
    That's a depressing thought. But you are probably right. As you know, Taiwan has been a bone of contention between the United States and China. If it were not for the US Navy Taiwan would probably be a part of China today.

If I were Communist Chinese, I probably would be mad at the USA. But if I were Tawanese I would thank God every day for the US Navy.

3.Frankly, there are still many people who believe in communism. Apart from idiots among them, others only wanna make use of this theory for interest of their own, for communists in China can have great benefits and power.
    People in power always want to stay in power. It's human nature. It doesn't matter if nobody really believes in Communism anymore.

4, Your essays stand for a symbol that I knew your thoughts. It's great.
    Thank you. :D

5, Any sort of books which include the content of criticizing communism and communist would be forbidden in China. eg. Chinese are unable to see TV programms shown in even Hong Kong.
    Governments that are not legitimate always fear criticism. (No offense intended.)

I fear for the people of Hong Kong. They are used to much more freedom than those on the mainland. I wonder how long their "special status" can last.

6, Cry. Sir, you got me wrong. Mr. Sun is a great man who ended the feudality of China, and not care about his own benefits. He's the creator of Chinese modern society.
    The only thing I know about him is that he was a Chinese philosopher. Perhaps you can tell me more about him.

7, Certainly I agree with you. It can be imagined that Iraqis and Afghanistani are gonna have free and happly life. I knew from a news that women in Afghan now can play soccer and don't need cover a veil anymore.
    Yes, there was a time not long ago when they would be beaten if they were caught not wearing the "proper" attire.

8, I hope you can help Taiwanese, even they call people from mainland as Pig. I felt a little hurt of course because they behaved the similar with those patriots in China. Both of them only know despise the whole race. That's stupid and shameful.
    Hatred is not a good thing. But I think I can understand how the Taiwanese feel. They are a small country that is constantly under threat from a powerful neighbor. I don't think Taiwan is any threat to mainland China.

9 China media like broadcasting bad news from the US, xixi, so in China, people think most of Iraqis hate you. haha. China media are a political tool for the government. I don't trust them. You can know this point in the example of SARS.
    I haven't heard much about SARS lately. Is it pretty much under control now?

10 Confucianism, hmm, I hate it but it's still not out of date in China. Some people think it can make human being very peaceful. But I think it only can make people timid and conservative. There is a opinion that Chinese are fond of old things, recalling the past, respecting ancients but you, American adore new trend, enjoying challenge. right?So you can always achieve your goals and Chinese can only have the past accomplishment.
    If Americans have accomplished more than the Chinese have in some ways it is not because the Americans are smarter. A lot of things combine to create situations like that. One of the things that makes innovation possible is the free flow of ideas.

I will tell you culture of China sometimes. Xixi. you would have a surprise probably. Very different. If you never heard something in China, you would be shocked. haha.
    Shock me.

See you next time, Sir.
    Talk to you later.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast