Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello.

I would like to ask you about how should one work with unknown words while reading a book or an article?
As for me, every time when I meet unknown words, I look them up in the dictionary immediately. Is it a right approach?
Maybe one should let's say read a chapter and only then look all unknown words in the dictionary?

Thank you.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you don't know what a word means, how will you decide if it's "unnecessary"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I like this approach that someone in another forum recommended.
Buy an inexpensive paper dictionary. When you look up a word, put a check mark next to it.
If you look up a word and see there is a check mark next to it already, write it down and write a few sentences using it.
If you look up a word and see there are two check marks next to it, you need to work hard to start using that word in your active vocabulary.

I suggest that you try to figure out what the word means based on how it is used, and then look it up to confirm it.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good suggestion, I may just have my students start doing that since they already have the cheap dictionaries.

Ksenia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Barb_D, just to clarify: you mean if I look up a word and do not know its meaning, I have to put a check mark. But if there are two check marks, it means that I have already looked up this word earlier. Right?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Before you look a word up, it makes sense to think whether you really need to- if you have an idea of what it means, it may be better to keep on reading and enjoying yourself.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Barb_D, just to clarify: you mean if I look up a word and do not know its meaning, I have to put a check mark. But if there are two check marks, it means that I have already looked up this word earlier. Right?

Yes, if you are looking up the word for the first time, no check marks.
If you look up the word and see one check mark, it means you have had trouble with it once before.
If you look up the word and see two check marks, it means you have looked it up twice before. It suggests you will continue to see it. So it's time to really learn that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.