Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
I can actually honestly say that I am able to speak english very fluently in situations where it's not the only option, such as at school or with my friends. I am not saying my english is perfect, but I started to study at the age of 8 and have been learning for 15 years and always got straight A's. But my problem seems to be that whenever I am in a situation where I absolutely need to speak english, even if I am aware of it in advance, I start speaking very badly. My pronouncing gets all wrong and I am just too nervous to speak the way that I for sure know how to. So I'd like to know are there any ways to improve my ability to speak english as well in these kinds of situations as I do when I don't have to?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It sounds as if you do fine when there is no pressure. This is common with many skills. When there is pressure, your self-confidence is affected. The only solution I can think of is to practice conversing with another person or other people.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Almost every speaker of a foreign language finds they have this problem at one time or another. We get nervous when we think that it's really important that the foreign language is all grammatically correct. That's not the case when we're talking to our friends.
The only answer is practice. People will advise you to "just not worry about it". That is easier said than done.

Here is one useful piece of advice though: always capitalise the word "English" when you write/type it.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, perhaps this piece of timeless advice about public speaking would work for you as well:

"If you're nervous, picture your audience naked."

Mind you, I always figured that would be more distracting than relaxing, but some say it works.

Shelly022

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yeah its really true, when you are in pressure then you are not able to speak proper english. For this, first thing is to improve your confidence and practice whenever you have time. It will definitely help.

Thanks

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Shelley.

Please read ems's last sentence in post #3.

You can use Edit Post to correct your mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.