Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello.
I want you to help me.

The thing is... I have to translate the text from Russian to English.
I will show you this text that I translated and I want you to tell me... did I do it right?
I mean.. How those sentences are written... right or not. Andi if you see any mistakes, please tell me.
I'm waiting for your answer.

This is the text that I told you about.

"Paris is the capital of France for the past 10 centuries. Today this city is the cultural and business center of the hole of Europe. It's a very hard work to describe all Paris attractions.
You only have to see this. The whole city is a museum under the open sky. Modern skyscrapers and quiet streets with old mansions, the majestic beauty of the Louvre and Versailles with huge commercial complexes are combined here in the best way."

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to Using English, Alehandro.

I have moved your post to the correct forum and given your thread a suitable title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Paris has been the capital of France for the last ten centuries. It is the cultural capital of the WHOLE of Europe.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could also say it is the cultural center of Europe (as you did).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you want to translate it into British English, you would say it's the "cultural centre​".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's difficult/impossible to describe/list all the attractions in Paris.

Last edited:

Alehandro1983

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Welcome to Using English, Alehandro.

I have moved your post to the correct forum and given your thread a suitable title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Thank you, sir!:);-)

Alehandro1983

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Paris has been the capital of France for the last ten centuries. It is the cultural capital of the WHOLE of Europe.

About this one - "hole" instead of "whole" you are absolutely right. I just occasionally didn't press this button. I mean "W":-D

But tell me please about "Paris HAS BEEN the capital of France..."
When I used - "Paris IS the capital of France..." - I didn't do this right? Or you just meant that I can also use "has been" in this sentence...

Alehandro1983

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If you want to translate it into British English, you would say it's the "cultural centre ".

Actually, I have to translate just to English. It doesn't matter... American English or British.
But thank you anyway for saying this. I will try to remember it.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would use the term 'a living museum" instead of "a museum under the open sky.".

Alehandro1983

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It's difficult/impossible to describe/list al the attractions in Paris.

You probably also like me just accidentally didn't press the button "l" one more time)))
Actually... very often things like this happen with us when we write something on the Internet.

And yea, you are absolutely right. To describe all the attractions in Paris, people, at least, have to visit many cities and places of this great and beautiful country.

Alehandro1983

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I would use the term 'a living museum" instead of "a museum under the open sky.".

I agree with you. It would have been better if we used "a living museum" instead of "a museum under the open sky".
But the thing is... that I have to translate from Russian to English what I see exactly in this article.
In that article, it is written just like this. - "Весь город является музеем под открытым небом"
And if I translate it into English it sounds like this - " The whole city is a museum under the open sky".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Several of our members are native Russian speakers. You could try posting on our Other Languages forum to compare interpretations.

Alehandro1983

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Several of our members are native Russian speakers. You could try posting on our Other Languages forum to compare interpretations.

Thanks. I will take note of this. Right now I just need to hear from native English speakers. Or at least from people who know English very well.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
About this one - "hole" instead of "whole" you are absolutely right. I just occasionally didn't press this button. I mean "W":-D

But tell me please about "Paris HAS BEEN the capital of France..."
When I used - "Paris IS the capital of France..." - I didn't do this right? Or you just meant that I can also use "has been" in this sentence...

You left out something relevant. If you say "Paris is the capital of France" that is present tense and is perfectly fine. But you didn't say that. You could say:

Paris is the capital of France and has been for the last ten centuries.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You probably also like me just accidentally didn't press the button "l" one more time)))
Actually... very often things like this happen with us when we write something on the Internet.

And yea, you are absolutely right. To describe all the attractions in Paris, people, at least, have to visit many cities and places of this great and beautiful country.

Ems did not make a mistake. She was suggesting a change to one of your sentences. (It's a good suggestion.)

No, you don't have to go to every city in the country to be able to describe Paris.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ems did not make a mistake. She was suggesting a change to one of your sentences. (It's a good suggestion.)

I did make a mistake, a typo. I wrote "al" instead of "all". I have edited the original post to fix my typo.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I did make a mistake, a typo. I wrote "al" instead of "all". I have edited the original post to fix my typo.

OK, I missed that (the typo), but it's a minor thing. Your suggestion is a big improvement over the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.