Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Canada
Hello,

I'm looking for a way to describe a term that is translated to another language.

For example: Country Name would be such a term because:
EN: Canada
PL: Kanada
GR: Καναδάς

'Translated' is not precise for me, because 'translation' does not necessarily mean different versions in different languages - it could refer to a different type of transformation. 'Language Translated' or 'Language Supported' seem a bit odd and artificial. So I'm trying to find a precise and proper English word to describe terms such as Country Name. I'd take either an adjective or a verb. In case contemporary English doesn't have one, I'd take something from the past, or even Latin, as well. I just need something that will mean 'Term Translated To A Language' in a shorter form that will still appear professional.

Thanks.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I'm looking for a way to describe a term that is translated to another language.

For example: Country Name would be such a term because:
EN: Canada
PL: Kanada
GR: Καναδάς

'Translated' is not precise for me, because 'translation' does not necessarily mean different versions in different languages - it could refer to a different type of transformation. 'Language Translated' or 'Language Supported' seem a bit odd and artificial. So I'm trying to find a precise and proper English word to describe terms such as Country Name. I'd take either an adjective or a verb. In case contemporary English doesn't have one, I'd take something from the past, or even Latin, as well. I just need something that will mean 'Term Translated To A Language' in a shorter form that will still appear professional.

Thanks.

...But it nearly always does, and if you're talking about words it always does (except in a contrived and most unlikely context). Translations of country names are not always the same.

b

JacekN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Canada
I'll need to use this term in a technical context. And in technical context, 'translation' does refer to many things. For example: code with template is translated into a web page or requirements are translated into code. I'm looking for a short term that clearly states it refers to language translations.

In technical world we rely on good naming because names imply things and thus, reduce the need for extensive documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.