American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forums.

Can you please explain your question?
I'm not familiar with this expression.
There is one that says "You can't see the the forest for the trees" which means you can't see the entire situation because you are too focused on the details.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even some native speakers misunderstand the phrase "... can't see the wood for the trees". They seem to think that "wood" is used as the collective (uncountable) noun for pieces of wood, ie the material from trees. It's not. It's the singular countable noun meaning "forest".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It might be a Britishism. Where I come from, it's can't see the tree for the forest.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That makes little sense to me.

Or, in fact, it makes too much sense!

The BrE version (I can't see the wood for the trees) basically says that I cannot see the forest because all these damn trees around me are in the way! Of course, the trees are the forest so the speaker is surrounded by the very thing they are looking for.

Charlie's version (I can't see the tree for the forest) demonstrates a perfectly feasible scenario - the speaker is looking for one specific tree but is having trouble spotting it because they are standing in a forest. A person might genuinely go to a forest to look for one tree. As a perfectly feasible scenario, I don't think it makes a great idiom.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The expression used in AmE is "he can't see the forest for the trees." It would not make sense the other way around.

fencecat42

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In American English, "he can't see the forest for the trees" means that he is so focused on minute details that he cannot understand the big picture. It loses all meaning if it is reversed.

It is also interesting to note that in Britain, "wood" meaning "forest" is singular, whereas in America it is "woods" (plural).

BrE: You won't be able to find him in that wood.

AmE: You won't be able to find him in those woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.