Please hold on ... please hold on the line...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetie_sneha

Hi,

Suppose somebody is calling my boss and I am answering the phone. What should I say to the caller to wait for a moment?

Please hold the line.
Please hold on.

or something else.

Regards.

Sweetie_Sneha

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Definitely not "hold on" -- that's informal English for "wait" or sometimes "stop" -- "Hey, hold on a minute, what was that you said?"

"Please hold the line" is much better; sometimes you'll hear it shortened to "Please hold". It's probably a good to idea to explain why the caller should hold the line: "Please hold the line a moment, I'm putting you through now." People generally hate being "put on hold", so it helps just to let them know that you're not just doing it because you don't like them. ;-)

Fazzu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
rewboss said:
"Please hold the line" is much better;

Can I tell "Please hold on the line"?Also, can I tell "Please hold on to the line"?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I used to say either "Can you hold for just a moment?" or simply "One moment, please."

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
"Please hold on the line" doesn't make sense. No preposition is required here.

"Please hold on to the line" does make sense, but it's the wrong sense. It would mean that you are holding a line in your hand, or that you are hanging from a line (it could be, for example, a washing-line) -- and you shouldn't let go.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Fazzu said:
Can I tell "Please hold on the line"?Also, can I tell "Please hold on to the line"?

Correction
Can I say, not *Can I tell. ;-)
Should I say, ... :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.