infinikyte Guest

Default Some questions about pronouns

Passage A:
    Retailing infrastructures and the patterns of consumer behavior they engender and reflect differ between countries and cultures.
    These differences reflect variations in the economic and cultural environments with their implications for abundance versus scarcity.

Question A: The word their in the second sentence should mean "the differences" or "the economic and cultural environments"?

My guess: Having not understand totally the meaning of the whole context, I guess it's "the differences". My reason: the differences imply something. Am I right for both the answer and the reason? :? If I analysis the structure, does "with" go with "reflect"?

Passage B:
    The consumer environment subsumes numerous features of the retail context, all of which potentially influence consumer behavior and choice.
    Their understanding requires knowledge both of aspects of the physical and social environments and of those internal to the consumer.

Question B: The word Their in the second sentence should mean "numerous features" or "consumer behavior and choice"?

My guess: I'm really not sure. I can say it's THE consumer behavior and choice needs to be researched upon, whereas for features we can just list them. However, I can also say "features" is the subject in this passage so the second sentence should continue to convey ideas related to this subject. Huh???

My real question would be: How do I know a pronoun---existing far away from the subjet of a sentence, or appearing as a subject in the following sentence----represent which element in these kinds of long passages given above, especially there are a number of sentences involved in the meaning?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Some questions about pronouns

Quote Originally Posted by infinikyte
    Passage A:
    Retailing infrastructures and the patterns of consumer behavior they engender and reflect differ between countries and cultures.
    Subject
    [Retailing infrastructures] and [the patterns of consumer behavior (that) they (the infrastructures) engender and reflect]

Verb
    differ

Object
    between countries and cultures.

These differences (in retailing) reflect variations in the economic and cultural environments with their implications for abundance versus scarcity.

their = variations in economic and cultural environements imply abundance versus scarcity.

Quote Originally Posted by infinikyte
    [Passage B:
    The consumer environment subsumes numerous features of the retail context, all of which potentially influence consumer behavior and choice.
    Their understanding requires knowledge both of aspects of the physical and social environments and of those internal to the consumer.
    Their = consumer analysts' (Note, People understand things)

:D