• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default implement=clothes?

Dear Teachers,

Again read this from Mirror, Mirror by Gregory Maguire. They were talking about Cesare Borgia, saying that he was young, handsome but cruel.

"I like a man who wears his implement so prominently," said one of the maids. "It makes my work easier." She rubbed her bosom as if polishing a knob of furniture.

Is "implement" clothes?
    I don't understand why wearing one's implement prominently would make a maid's work easier. And what all this has to do with the maid's behavior of rubbing her bosom... This passage seems jumping from one subject to another and I'm all confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: implement=clothes?

The maid is making a (thinly) veiled reference to sex, which is why she rubs her bosom while she's thinking of it. Although the work of a maid is normally cleaning and other household duties, unofficially some maids also had another "job" -- keeping the master happy. "Implement" is another word for "tool", and I think (but I haven't read the book so I'm not sure) that this man's "tool" would be the "tool" he uses for sex -- his penis. (Am I allowed to say that in here?)

Judging by the way the maid speaks, it seems she rather enjoys this extra "work".

KuaiLe is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: implement=clothes?

Err...Sorry if I've asked an impolite question.
    And thanks for your reply.