Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In addition, my parents and I used to argue about that issue. It's because I wanted to study at a commercial high school but they wanted me to study at a day-school.(an academic high school)

In Korea, high schools are categorized into two groups. One is academic high school, targeting at having students enter universities in the end, so students in such schools learn general subjects such as English, Korean, Math, geography, physics, etc that will be dealt with in the university entrance exam. The other is technical high school such as commercial one, industrial one, or agricultural one.
I wonder if the terms of "academic high school" and "technical high school" are proper and correct, compared to English speaking countries' school systems.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this country (USA) we call those schools designed for those expected to go to college "college prep" schools. The others are called vocational schools. (That assumes things haven't changed that much since I went to high school, which was a long time ago.)

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is "college prep" short for "college preparation"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is "college prep" short for "college preparation"?

That you even can ask the question tells me you know the answer.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Can we say "vocational high school" instead of "vocational school"? As this is meant for a high school and vocation school can also include college level schools for adults.
2. Also, is it better to say "college-prep school" instead of "college-prep high school" as "college-prep" automatically includes high school?
3. When we say "commercial or industrial or agricultural high school", wouldn't they make sense? Is it because there are no such schools in the states? Is it better to say just "vocational school"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have you googled any of things? (It's past my bedtime. Maybe I'll look into it tomorrow.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my area, vocational school would normally be understood to mean vocational high school. I don't know whether the same thing applies across the United States.

We would not normally say college-prep high school or college-prep school. Just high school is sufficient.

Just vocational school would cover all your examples, at least here in Ohio.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am in agreement with Goes.
A "regular" high school is considered a college prep, even if not everyone goes to college.

A "vocational" [high] school teaches anything from mechanics and welding to culinary skills. Where I lived in New York, we also called that high school the "Vo-Tech" for "Vocational - Technical."

In the district where I live, they call this "the Intermediate Unit." I have no idea why, and it makes no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.