Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

What's the difference between "born into" and "born to"? In the following text, extracted from Wikipedia, the proposition "to" has been used. Can I use "into" instead of it? If that's so, What's the difference between them?

Hevesy György was born in Budapest, Hungary to a wealthy and ennobled Roman Catholic of Hungarian Jewish descent family, the fifth of eight children to his parents Lajos (Louis) Bischitz and Baroness Eugenia (Jenny) Schossberger (ennobled as "De Tornyay").

Regards.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, you can't use INTO there instead of TO.

Last edited by a moderator:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's poorly written. It would be better as: "Hevesy György was born in Budapest, Hungary to a wealthy and ennobled Roman Catholic family of Hungarian Jewish descent..." I see no reason why you couldn't substitute "in" with "into".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The original sentence is terrible to read. It's badly phrased. The preposition should be into (not to). Follow this rule:

• born into a...family
  • born to...parents

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's poorly written. It would be better as: "Hevesy György was born in Budapest, Hungary to a wealthy and ennobled Roman Catholic family of Hungarian Jewish descent..." I see no reason why you couldn't substitute "in" with "into".
I wanted to substitute "into" with "to".

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The original sentence is terrible to read. It's badly phrased. The preposition should be into (not to). Follow this rule:

• born into a...family
  • born to...parents

@Tarheel, says I cannot do that. But, you say it's Ok. Both of you are native speakers of English. Don't know I should listen to which of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.