Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Dear teacher

I have taken some of these sentences from the book titled the Millionaire Real Estate Agent, by Garry Keller.

There are a few sentences which I have underlined them that I want to know how you diagram them, the sentences below:

"The men’s speed skating finals in the 2002 Winter Olympic Games demonstrates this point beutifully. The American skater, Apolo Anton Ohno, was widely predicted to win the gold metal, and, coming into the final turn of the race, he was in great position to take the top place on the medal podium. But then a skater lost his balance, tangled with the rest, and all the leaders were sent crashing to the ice. A cry went up from the crowd, and a stunned Steven Bradbury of Australia, the last-placed skater and the only one still standing, coasted across the finish line to take the gold."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
[But] then a skater lost his balance, and [he became] tangled with the rest. [and] all the leaders were sent crashing to the ice.
Steven Bradbury of Australia [who was the last-placed skater and the only one still standing] coasted across the finish line to take the gold.

Darryus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
[But] then a skater lost his balance, and [he became] tangled with the rest. [and] all the leaders were sent crashing to the ice.
Steven Bradbury of Australia [who was the last-placed skater and the only one still standing] coasted across the finish line to take the gold.

Could you please break the sentences into parts of speech like subject, objects, determiner, adjective, adverbs, prepositional phrase, conjunctions, or something like that? I want to know how you diagram the sentences into parts of speech.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I could. I'd prefer to see you have a try first. Parsing bores me. Do your best and someone will help you with the rest.

Darryus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Could you please break the sentences into parts of speech like subject, objects, determiner, adjective, adverbs, prepositional phrase, conjunctions, or something like that? I want to know how you diagram the sentences into parts of speech.

Thank you in advance

I could. I'd prefer to see you have a try first. Parsing bores me. Do your best and someone will help you with the rest.

Hi, all

if you see any mistakes on the sentence parsing below, please help me to correct it

A) But then a skater lost his balance, tangled with the rest, and all the leaders were sent crashing to the ice.
Conjunction- Adverb- Noun(Subject)- Verb- Possessive Adjective- Noun- Past Participle- Prepositional Phrase- Conjunction- Predeterminer- Determiner- Noun- Verb- Present Participle- Prepositional Phrase

B) A cry went up from the crowd, and a stunned Steven Bradbury of Australia, the last-placed skater and the only one still standing, coasted across the finish line to take the gold."
Subject 1- Phrasal Verb- Prepositional Phrase- Conjunction- Adjective Phrase- Subject 2- Prepositional Phrase- Adjective Phrase- Noun- Conjunction- Adjective Phrase- Adverb- Present Participle- Verb- Prepostional Phraase- Infinitive- Object.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, all

if you see any mistakes on the sentence parsing below, please help me to correct it

A) But then a (article) skater lost his balance, tangled (verb) with the rest, and all the leaders were sent crashing to the ice.
Conjunction- Adverb- Noun(Subject)- Verb- Possessive Adjective- Noun- Past Participle- Prepositional Phrase- Conjunction- Predeterminer- Determiner- Noun- Verb- Present Participle- Prepositional Phrase

B) A cry went up from the crowd, and a stunned Steven Bradbury of Australia, the last-placed skater and the only one still standing, coasted across the finish line to take the gold."
Subject 1- Phrasal Verb- Prepositional Phrase- Conjunction- Adjective Phrase- Subject 2- Prepositional Phrase- Adjective Phrase- Noun- Conjunction- Adjective Phrase- Adverb- Present Participle- Verb- Prepostional Phraase- Infinitive- Object.
I don't think "the only one" is an adjective phrase.
If you wanted to parse the whole thing completely, you'd need to parse the phrases as well. The (determiner) only (adjective) one (pronoun).

Darryus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
If you wanted to parse the whole thing completely, you'd need to parse the phrases as well. The (determiner) only (adjective) one (pronoun).

I got it.

Thanks you for your help with parsing the sentences

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

You are right: it's not an adjective phrase; it's a noun phrase. But I wouldn't go along with your analysis of "one". In this use, "one" is actually a common noun, not a pronoun. The reason is two-fold: it can freely take determiners, as can be seen in "The only one", and like most common nouns, but unlike pronouns, it inflects for number as in "The other ones are nicer".

Status
Not open for further replies.