Thread: I need help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default I need help?

hello, I'm a new member in this site and i need any information about learning disabilities . could any one help me, please?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need help?

Which disabilities? Try here for sites realted to issues that could affect language learning: http://www.usingenglish.com/links/Te...xia/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for your help . Actually , i search for learning disabilities which hinder our students to acquire English as a foreign or second language. Iwould like to know whether there are any theories or methods of teaching which try to clarify the problems which face us as EFL or ESL , what are these problems and how th solve it ? . Deslexia is for students with special characteristics not normal students . My research is for normal student . Thank you , again and i will wait for your help.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends how you're defining normality- what disabilties did you have in mind? I taught a sightless student a few years ago and we required braille materials, which aren't that easy to get, and special exam facilities, but other than that there was no special method required.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you again . Iwill make my point clear;i don't talk about students with special needs , my focus is normal students who study English as a foreign language . It is not easy for them , they face many difficulties in acquiring English . This is my point , i search for theories or approaches which tackle these problems and offer a treatment . i Iknow that my question was misleading as i didn't focus on the point i search for . Thank you again and i wait for your reply.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, then avoid terms like diasbilities, and use difficulties. It depends very much on the different backgrounds. In the case of Egytpian students, there will be a greater workload than for European students, as the latter don't have to acquire a new writing system, so progress will be slower for those with a different writing system, etc. Contrastive linguistics would be the area for you to look into as it is the area that examines the differences between languages in order to see the difficulties faced by different learners.