Post Thanks / Like

Default Differences between TESL Certificate and M.A. in TESL?

Hello teachers and experts,
    I'm currently working on my BA for Child Development. My long-term goal is to teach at a Kindergarden International school somewhere in Asia. I recently found out that there is a Master program for TESL. I wonder what is the significant difference between the Certification program and the Master program? I know that International Schools in Asia only require a BA degree and a TESL Certificate to teach at their schools. I just want to know more about this Master program to see if it's really going to benefit me in the long-run if my goal is to live in Asia. I grew up in LA, therefore, as of this time, I'm not really familiar with the academic standards in Southeast Asia.
    Thank you for your opinions,
    Jocelyn

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Differences between TESL Certificate and M.A. in TESL?

A TESL Certificate is a basic training course, though there are many and not all are well-recognised. The most widely accepted is probably the CELTA, which is available in places all over the world. The MA is required for jobs in places like universities and is useful in the bigger schools which place importance on academic qualifications. In Asia, you can teach widely with a TESL Certificate, but if you want to get into the university area, which does pay better, then an MA is normally required.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Differences between TESL Certificate and M.A. in TESL?

Quote Originally Posted by JocelynNguyen
    I know that International Schools in Asia only require a BA degree and a TESL Certificate to teach at their schools.
    International schools almost always require a B.Ed/PGCE and two years public school teaching experience in your home country before they will even consider your application. English language schools have employment requirements that are more in line with your posting although in East Asia a TEFL certficiate, while always a good idea if it is from a good course, is not necessarily a must.