Irregular Verb list

Sanjoy

Hi I am Sanjoy (35 year old) from India, I am very happy due to connected you. My only dream in life to learn correct English. I live at a remote place at West-Bengal in India but I hope it possible with your friendly helps.

Mitsurugi

I've just signed up, hoping to view the full list of irregular verbs. But I still just have the usual 212. How do I access these?

Despite the post at the top of this thread, both links given lead to the same page.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There may be as many as 616 irregular verbs, but all of the most common ones (and some not so common ones) are on the list. Some of the most commonly used verbs are irregular verbs (be, sit, run, etc.). It is best to become familiar with them, because you will run across them often. Forms of the verb to be, for example, are used quite often. Also, once you learn the main form of the verb you will know how to use its variations. (For example, run is used to form outrun and overrun.)

~R

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Despite the post at the top of this thread, both links given lead to the same page.
Thank you for pointing that out. I've corrected the link. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, Red! That's quite a thorough list. (I'd never even heard of "behight" before, and I don't remember the last time I "begirded" something. ;-) )

:-D

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Check irregular verbs here. There is a complete list available to members here. You can also download a free list here.

Hi Tdol

Thank you very much for helping us. This is a very good list. I have some other lists of irregular verbs. In my lists there are some verbs which are not in the list you have provided ; for instance : hew. Is this verb considered a regular or an irregular verb?
As far as I know, "hew" has two forms in the past participle :hewed /hewn. Which one shall I use ? Are these two forms interchangeable or should I use them differently? What contexts?

Thank you very much in advance.
All the best,

Teia

Last edited:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Tdol

Thank you very much for helping us. This is a very good list. I have some other lists of irregular verbs. In my lists there are some verbs which are not in the list you have provided ; for instance : hew. Is this verb considered a regular or an irregular verb?
As far as I know, "hew" has two forms in the past participle :hewed /hewn. Which one shall I use ? Are these two forms interchangeable or should I use them differently? What contexts?

Since you can say either "had hewed" or "had hewn" you may use either one and you don't have to use "hew" as an irregular verb. You may ignore the irregular form if you wish. (In fact, I recommend it.)

~R

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Since you can say either "had hewed" or "had hewn" you may use either one and you don't have to use "hew" as an irregular verb. You may ignore the irregular form if you wish. (In fact, I recommend it.)

~R

Hi RonBee

Thank you very much for clarifying that.

Keep in touch,

F

Fleur de mort

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwooo
so Beautiful
i swear to god

thank you dear for this topic
and i'm waiting for any new cause we need to understand the rules of the language before speaking or writing
thank you really
Death Flower

Liz AG

Member Type
Other
Great, and that means verbs like "dow" and "endow" are really the same irregular verb. Thank you!

Liz

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word endow is a regular verb. The word dow has an irregular form, but it can be used as a regular verb. Also, they mean different things.

~R

wooer

Member Type
English Teacher
I'm new at this forum but thanks for such a beautiful environment and for sharing such beautiful information...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Welcome, Wooer. :hi:

Cartia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Irregular verbs are the verbs that their tenses are not written the same, they are written in different ways. You cannot add ed or d to an irrregular verb.:)

rogercastao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi I am Sanjoy (35 year old) from India, I am very happy due to connected you. My only dream in life to learn correct English. I live at a remote place at West-Bengal in India but I hope it possible with your friendly helps.
hi, my name is Roger, I live in brazil, I have a dream too, I´d like to visit India, I want to do missions there!!!!! :-D ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You cannot add ed or d to an irrregular verb.:)

That is true. Irregular verbs are irregular in tense (past tense, past perfect tense, etc.). On the other hand, many of them are quite commonly used (run, see, do, go, be, get), so you should get many opportunities to practice using them.

~R

ajrojo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Pls help me to find a list of 620irregular vebs with present, past tense and past participle with definitions and i really need it asap. Why this link :Log In - UsingEnglish.com didnt not exist. pls I need your response asap!

Thank you!