5 23.81%
  • from the beginning to the end

6 28.57%
  • the utmost limit

4 19.05%

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question Website motto in Latin ???

I'm a rather new freelance web designer/developer & on the edge of finishing my website offering services of making Websites to other businesses/individuals, etc.

I'm stuck on choosing a "motto" for my website & wonder if people around could possibly help me choosing the right one. I'm hoping to have a "Latin" motto.

I've chosen the following few so far & wonder which one people around prefer the most. Whereever I know, I've given the Latin equivalent, but in cases, I've no idea & hence any help would be appreciated.

Lastly, whereever possible, I've mentioned the MOTTO, LATIN equivalent and REASON for choosing that particular motto.

1)
    MOTTO: your presence matters
    LATIN: don't know the Latin equivalent (so any help would be appreciated)
    REASON: this motto emphasise on the importance of company/individual's availability on the Internet by means of having a website.

2)
    MOTTO: from possibility to reality
    LATIN: a posse ad esse
    REASON: perhaps emphasising on the thought of having a website coming to reality & between these two comes "our own Webdesign company" i.e. a MEANS to turn the possibility to reality

3)
    MOTTO: from the beginning to the end
    LATIN: ab initio means "from the beginning" AND "ad finem" means "to the end" BUT "ab ovo usque ad mala" means "from the egg to apples" (literally) but broadly speaking it could mean "from the beginning to the end"
    REASON: bearing in mind that our company would take care of everything from A to Z i.e. FROM the thought of having a website (followed by design graphics/logo, creating layout, then adding content, etc). TO choosing domain & then registering website on search engine, etc.

4)
    MOTTO: the utmost limit
    LATIN: ultima thule
    REASON: haven't a clue but it seems short & sounds interesting

Any additional recommendation along with its Latin equivalent would be welcomed.

sheena55ro Guest

Default Re: Website motto in Latin ???

ULTIMA THULE sounds more interesting than any other phrases, because there are many vowels and "ultim" is a linguistic root for many words in the Germanic and Latin languages[French, Spanish, Romanian, Italian, etc] .

It is only an opinion. The decision is yours.
    Last edited by sheena55ro; 22-Jun-2006 at 19:17.

sheena55ro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j4mes_bond25
    I'm a rather new freelance web designer/developer & on the edge of finishing my website offering services of making Websites to other businesses/individuals, etc.
    I'm stuck on choosing a "motto" for my website & wonder if people around could possibly help me choosing the right one. I'm hoping to have a "Latin" motto.
    I've chosen the following few so far & wonder which one people around prefer the most. Whereever I know, I've given the Latin equivalent, but in cases, I've no idea & hence any help would be appreciated.
    Lastly, whereever possible, I've mentioned the MOTTO, LATIN equivalent and REASON for choosing that particular motto.
    1)
    MOTTO: your presence matters
    LATIN: don't know the Latin equivalent (so any help would be appreciated)
    REASON: this motto emphasise on the importance of company/individual's availability on the Internet by means of having a website.
    2)
    MOTTO: from possibility to reality
    LATIN: a posse ad esse
    REASON: perhaps emphasising on the thought of having a website coming to reality & between these two comes "our own Webdesign company" i.e. a MEANS to turn the possibility to reality
    3)
    MOTTO: from the beginning to the end
    LATIN: ab initio means "from the beginning" AND "ad finem" means "to the end" BUT "ab ovo usque ad mala" means "from the egg to apples" (literally) but broadly speaking it could mean "from the beginning to the end"
    REASON: bearing in mind that our company would take care of everything from A to Z i.e. FROM the thought of having a website (followed by design graphics/logo, creating layout, then adding content, etc). TO choosing domain & then registering website on search engine, etc.
    4)
    MOTTO: the utmost limit
    LATIN: ultima thule
    REASON: haven't a clue but it seems short & sounds interesting
    Any additional recommendation along with its Latin equivalent would be welcomed.

Additional reccomendation:

TUA RES AGITUR - [it`s ] for your benefit
    USQUE AD FINEM - up to the end [ resist up to the end]
    HIC ET NUNC -here and now
    IN MEDIAS RES- in the middle[core] of the things

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Though I can't help with the Latin, I prefer the first.

sheena55ro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Though I can't help with the Latin, I prefer the first.
    Do you mean "TUA RES AGITUR"? It sounds nice to me, too. It`s one of Horatio`s phrases from "Epistulae" [= Letters]

How is it correct :"for your benefit" or "on your benefit"?

Thank you