Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: of

  1. #1
    navi tasan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,966
    Post Thanks / Like

    of

    1-He is a man of honor.
    2-The Christian God is a God of Love.

    In 1, "of" turns "honor" into an adjective, he is an honorable man.
    But is the function of "of" the same in 2? Does" a god of love" mean the same as a "loving god"?

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: of

    Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan
    1-He is a man of honor.
    2-The Christian God is a God of Love.

    In 1, "of" turns "honor" into an adjective, he is an honorable man.
    But is the function of "of" the same in 2? Does" a god of love" mean the same as a "loving god"?
    The word "honor" in #1 is still a noun. It is the object of the preposition "of", and the prepositional phrase is an adjective. One can restate #1 as you have, using an adjective.

    The "of" in #2 is also a preposition and it functions the same way. In that case, a loving God is a good substitute for God of Love. This does not always work, however. The preposition "of" has a variety of meanings. If we say that Demeter is the goddess of agriculture, it does not mean that she is an agricultural goddess. It would mean that she is associated with agriculture. If we say that the Christian God is a God of Hope, it does not mean that he is a hopeful god; it would mean that he provides hope to others.

  3. #3
    navi tasan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,966
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike.
    If I have got it right, "the god of love" could mean two things: Venus was the goddess of love but she wasn't necessarily a loving goddess, she was a "goddess of love" in the sense Demeter was the goddess of agriculture. Then Jesus was "the god of love", in the sense that he was a loving god.

    What would you say "the hand of magic" means. I think I heard that somewhere. It was said of the hand of a sportsperson.

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never heard the term hand of magic nor have I seen it in writing. However, I have heard the magic touch. It means a person it talented at something.

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan
    Thanks Mike.
    If I have got it right, "the god of love" could mean two things: Venus was the goddess of love but she wasn't necessarily a loving goddess, she was a "goddess of love" in the sense Demeter was the goddess of agriculture. Then Jesus was "the god of love", in the sense that he was a loving god.

    What would you say "the hand of magic" means. I think I heard that somewhere. It was said of the hand of a sportsperson.
    You're welcome. I'm with Ron on the last point.

  6. #6
    Awten Guest
    Mike and Ron, you guys really know your stuff. How did you learn all of this information. What schools did you two go to, and what are you doing now?

    You too Red and Casiopea

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Awten
    Mike and Ron, you guys really know your stuff. How did you learn all of this information. What schools did you two go to, and what are you doing now?

    You too Red and Casiopea
    :D That is very kind of you.

    I am a veterinarian. Words and grammar are a hobby for me. I became very interested in the English language when I began lecturing, writing papers and books, and editing manuscripts for others.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •