Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hello everybody,

I have a question about the use of the word “neighbor” and what its pronoun should be used. Please see the following sentences:

1. My neighbor wants to move the house next month. The gift is for him as being my neighbor for a long time.
  2. My neighbor wants to move the house next month. The gift is for them as being my neighbor for a long time.
  3. My neighbors want to move the house next month. The gift is for them as being my neighbors for a long time.
  4. My neighbors want to move the houses next month. The gifts are for them as being my neighbors for a long time.

Q1: I would like to know if all the above sentences are grammatically correct?

Q2: If I am saying a neighbor of mine which has only one person in his house, should I write down as the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] sentence above?

Q3: If I am saying a neighbor of mine which has more than one person in their house, should I write down as the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] sentence above?

Q4: If I am saying more than one neighbor of mine, should I write down as the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] sentence above (Suppose more than one of my neighbors want to move their houses next month)?

Q5: Can the word “neighbor” be used to describe one of my neighbors which has one person in his house or more than one person in their house? If it cannot be used to describe one of my neighbors which has more than one person in their house, should I use “neighbors” and the pronoun “them” to describe them? If then, the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] sentence above should not be correct, right? Instead, the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] sentence above should be used right?

Anyway, I hope somebody here would answer my questions. Thank you very much!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everybody,

I have a question about the use of the word “neighbor” and what its pronoun should be. Please see the following sentences:

1. My neighbor wants to move the house next month. The gift is for him as being my neighbor for a long time.
  2. My neighbor wants to move the house next month. The gift is for them as being my neighbor for a long time.
  3. My neighbors want to move the house next month. The gift is for them as being my neighbors for a long time.
  4. My neighbors want to move the houses next month. The gifts are for them as being my neighbors for a long time.

Move a house? Are you sure? Here in the US, many people live in trailers. Trailers are difficult to move, but not impossible.

Your second sentences in each example are confusing. Are you giving the gift because he has been your neighbor for a long time?

Are these what you mean?:

- My neighbor wants to move next month. I am giving him a gift because he has been my neighbor for a long time.

- My neighbors want to move next month. I am giving them a gift (or gifts) because they have been my neighbors for a long time.

Q1: I would like to know if all the above sentences are grammatically correct. They're not.

Q2: If I am talking about a neighbor of mine who lives alone, should I write it as the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] sentence above? No.

Q3: If I am talking about a neighbor of mine who has more than one person in the house, should I write it as the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] sentence above? No.

Q4: If I am talking about more than one neighbor of mine, should I write it as the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] sentence above? (Suppose more than one of my neighbors want to move their houses next month.) No. Do all the neighbors live together in one house, or do they live in separate houses?

Q5: Can the word “neighbor” be used to describe one of my neighbors who lives alone [yes] or more than one person in the house? One person is a neighbor. More than one are neighbors.

If it cannot be used to describe one of my neighbors who has more than one person in the house, should I use “neighbors” and the pronoun “them” to describe them? Use plural pronouns with plural nouns and singular pronouns with singular nouns: He is a neighbor. She is a neighbor. They are neighbors.

If then, the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] sentence above should not be correct, right? Instead, the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] sentence above should be used right? No.

Anyway, I hope somebody here would answer my questions. Thank you very much!

Does that help?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, we say "move" or "move house" but certainly not "move the house".

chocobo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
In BrE, we say "move" or "move house" but certainly not "move the house".

haha, I think I know what you mean. If People "move the house", it means they move their house(the building) to another place. This is impossible:roll: Thank you for your advice anyway.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You understand correctly.

chocobo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Does that help?
I think I have got what you mean. Actually, I don’t know that “move the house” means moving the building to another place. I know I should write “move” or “move house” instead now. So, as you said, “neighbor” means a neighbor of mine who lives alone while “neighbors” means there are more than one person living in their house/houses or there are more than one neighbor who live alone in separate houses (no matter there is only one person in each of their house or more than one person in each of their house, we use “neighbors” to describe them) who want to move house.
For example, Tom is my neighbor. He lives in House A. He lives alone. Mary is my neighbor. She lives in House B. She lives alone. They both want to move house next month.
At this time, if I would like to give them a present as a souvenir, should I write:
My neighbors want to move next month. I am giving them a gift(or gifts) because they have been my neighbors for a long time.
Your explanation is clear and useful. Thank you very much for your help;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.