Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What Is Good Writing? A Short Post

[INDENT] As I see it the most important thing in writing is to accurately communicate your message to a reader. Everything else other than the rules of grammar is merely style. And, it is individualistic; there can be as many writing styles as there are people.. For example, I like to use introductive conjunctions. Some people might find it unusual, but if there is not rule saying that one can't do it, it is acceptable. I like this because it helps me maintain the flow of thoughts between sentences. It also helps to maintain shorter sentences which I are more easily understood. I also like the use of colons and semicolons, but that is a subject for another short post.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What Is Good Writing? A Short Post

I agree- communication is the goal, and people should be allowed to develop their own style, though for many here, for whome English is not their first language, developing a personal style which be much more complex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I agree- communication is the goal, and people should be allowed to develop their own style, though for many here, for whome English is not their first language, developing a personal style which be much more complex.
    I agree learning a second language can be tough. I admire people that can so it. I personally feel that the best way to acquire a second language is to immerse oneself in that language. My desire to learn Spanish has lasted most of my adult life. However, at this point in my life I still only possess a small collection of Spanish words and phrases. When I was younger and if I could have afforded to go to some type of Spanish speaking camp, I could be a Spanish speaker today.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a hard job. I am learning Khmer at the moment and have just started on the writing system, which I think is going to take me ages to gets to grips with.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a hard job. I am learning Khmer at the moment and have just started on the writing system, which I think is going to take me ages to gets to grips with.

I hope that this not taken to be offensive: Why would anyone want to study Khmer? You must admit that it not a wide spread language. And, again I am not trying to offend; I am just curious.

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

As for Khmer, I think that one of learning it the possible reasons is just a pleasure. Besides, knowledge of a language that is not known in he world (who speaks in Khmer?) is a nice thing, isn't it?

As for English, it is very difficult for a person for which English is a second language to write in his own style because he's usually making too many mistakes--this is the first thing. The second thing is that quite often his own style is evaluated as the wrong one, because English is "his second/foreign language." And here is the point--I'm quite often evaluated in such a way. Because I am from Poland, my English must be incorrect. Of course, it is not correct, but even if it's checked by an English native speaker who is the expert in the language, it's still seemed incorrect. And here the main problem lies, IMO.

Best wishes,
    Nyggus

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by searcher
    I hope that this not taken to be offensive: Why would anyone want to study Khmer? You must admit that it not a wide spread language. And, again I am not trying to offend; I am just curious.
    I am living in Phnom Penh at the moment, so it's very useful for me.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus
    he second thing is that quite often his own style is evaluated as the wrong one, because English is "his second/foreign language."
    This can be the case- some will interpret what is style as sounding foreign, as seen in the way some detect a foreign tone in Joseph Conrad, though recognising he is one of the great novelists in English, though I think this might be snobbery more than anything. However, sometimes, some NNES try too hard when writing, which can create an artificiality- too much vocab, too many flashy structures, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus
    As for Khmer, I think that one of learning it the possible reasons is just a pleasure. Besides, knowledge of a language that is not known in he world (who speaks in Khmer?) is a nice thing, isn't it?

As for English, it is very difficult for a person for which English is a second language to write in his own style because he's usually making too many mistakes--this is the first thing. The second thing is that quite often his own style is evaluated as the wrong one, because English is "his second/foreign language." And here is the point--I'm quite often evaluated in such a way. Because I am from Poland, my English must be incorrect. Of course, it is not correct, but even if it's checked by an English native speaker who is the expert in the language, it's still seemed incorrect. And here the main problem lies, IMO.

Best wishes,
    Nyggus
    That is not my attitude. Just because someone speaks with a accent or writes differently does not make their communication wrong. As long as one communicates their thought and does not violate a rule of grammar one writing cannot and should be considered bad. If someone says that your writing is bad they should be able to demonstrate it you in someway. I have to admit that some of the rules of grammar don’t make sense. For example consider the rule that prohibits a sentence form ending in a proposition. How is communication hampered by a preposition? To me the sentence, “ You are the one I have looking for.” is perfectly clear, but I am no English major.

Post Thanks / Like

I am living in Phnom Penh at the moment, so it's very useful for me.
    Well, excuse me that makes perfect sense. I should have guest it was something like that. I hope you a lot of success with your studies. If I may ask, why are you living in Cambodia? OBTW What is wrong with my first sentence?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast