Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tigrinya
Home Country
Eritrea
Current Location
United States
I admire you as always for your sincere patriotism, I wish our leaders have the same kind of character. I hope they would think first about the people who are suffering instead of prioritizing their own powerbefore. Sacrifice to stope the agony and the horror of their people.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Review your sentences with these questions in mind:
  • Who admires the person and hopes that leaders have character?
  • What should happen instead of prioritizing power?

Remember that every sentence requires a main verb.

habtom

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tigrinya
Home Country
Eritrea
Current Location
United States
How about now,
Grammar correction
I admire you as always for your sincere patriotism, hope our leaders have the same kind of character. They should think of the people who are suffering, instead of prioritizing their power before stopping the agony and the horror of their people.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about now,
Grammar correction
I admire you as always for your sincere patriotism, hope our leaders have the same kind of character. They should think of the people who are suffering, instead of prioritizing their power before stopping the agony and the horror of their people.

Much better. Who hopes that our leaders have the same kind of character? The first sentence needs either a subject for the second clause, or the conjunction and in place of the comma.

Before is a bit odd in the second sentence. Do you mean instead of​?

habtom

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tigrinya
Home Country
Eritrea
Current Location
United States
Grammar correction
I admire you as always for your sincere patriotism, I wish our leaders have the same kind of character. They suppose to think of the people who are suffering instead of prioritizing their own power before stopping the agony and the horror of their people.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Grammar correction
I admire you as always for your sincere patriotism, I wish our leaders [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] had the same kind of character. They [STRIKE]suppose to[/STRIKE] should think of the people who are suffering instead of prioritizing their own power [STRIKE]before stopping the agony and the horror of their people.[/STRIKE] above their peoples' well-being.

Note my corrections above. You changed hope to wish, which changes both the meaning and the syntax of what follows. With wish, you're saying the leaders don't have the kind of character you'd like. With hope, you were uncertain about their character.

I still don't understand the second sentence. I've made a change which makes it more logical, but it may not say what you want. Can you express the second sentence in different words? Try breaking it into two sentences if that makes it easier.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the two parts of the first sentence should be joined with a conjunction and not a comma(comma splice), or separated.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the two parts of the first sentence should be joined with a conjunction and not a comma(comma splice), or separated.

The comma could be replaced by a semicolon, too.

habtom

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tigrinya
Home Country
Eritrea
Current Location
United States
How about now
Grammar correction
I admire you as always for your sincere patriotism. I wish our leaders had the same kind of character, prioritizing their peoples' well-being instead of extending their power in leadership.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I admire you as always for your sincere patriotism. I wish our leaders had the same kind of character,prioritizing their peoples' well-being instead of their power.

Whose power? The leader's or the people's?

habtom

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tigrinya
Home Country
Eritrea
Current Location
United States
The leaders power

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The leaders' power.

See above.

Note the position of the apostrophe. In post #10, tedmc wrote "leader's power". However, your piece says "I wish our leaders ..." (plural) so the apostrophe should come after the "s".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I admire you as always for your sincere patriotism. I wish our leaders had the same kind of character,prioritizing their peoples' well-being instead of their power.

There is the ambiguity of whose power, which is why I asked.

I think this would be clearer:

I admire you as always for your sincere patriotism. I wish our leaders had the same kind of character - instead of prioritising their own power, have the people's interests and well-being at heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.