Post Thanks / Like

Default Please give your comment

Dear teachers:
    Here is my sentence, please give your comment.

However, the evaporation rate can not meet the demand for withstanding the ambient pressure, so the ambient pressure "squeezes" the bubble to collapse in a very short time.

In my experiment, the ambient pressure makes the vapour-bubble to collape. Here, the evaporation is caused by a heating process inside the bubble. In this sentence, I want to express that the "heating rate" is not fast enough to preclude the "collapse". Maybe the word "demand" is a mistake using.

Please give me your comment, thanks.

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please give your comment

Quote Originally Posted by wpqin
    However, the evaporation rate can not meet the demand for withstanding the ambient pressure, so the ambient pressure "squeezes" the bubble to collapse in a very short time.
    Hi! Here are my suggestions...

However, the evaporation rate can not counteract the ambient pressure, so the ambient pressure compresses the bubble and forces / makes / causes it to collapse in a very short time.
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please give your comment

Quote Originally Posted by Red5
    Hi! Here are my suggestions...

However, the evaporation rate can not counteract the ambient pressure, so the ambient pressure compresses the bubble and forces / makes / causes it to collapse in a very short time.
    Thank you, teacher! I think "cause" is the best (suitable?) here.

Post Thanks / Like

More comments please!

Otherwise, when a cavitation bubble generates in the focused IR spot, as soon as tweaking the bubble, the IR laser will heat and gasify the liquid on the bubble wall quickly. The rapidly increasing vapor density inside may resist the ambient pressure and preclude its fast collapse.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wpqin
    More comments please!

Otherwise, when a cavitation bubble generates in the focused IR spot, as soon as tweaking the bubble, the IR laser will heat and gasify the liquid on the bubble wall quickly. The rapidly increasing vapor density inside may resist the ambient pressure and preclude its fast collapse.
    :o
    I'm not a scientist, but what strikes me as wrong in this text is 'as soon as tweaking the bubble' It should be something like 'as soon as the bubble is tweaked'. Is tweaked the right word? It sounds funny to me, but if scientists use the word, then use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'm not a scientist, but what strikes me as wrong in this text is 'as soon as tweaking the bubble' It should be something like 'as soon as the bubble is tweaked'. Is tweaked the right word? It sounds funny to me, but if scientists use the word, then use it.
    I found the word "tweak" in a Chinese-English dictionary. I don't know whether the word is accurate or not. Other candidate is "pinch" or "hold", Which means to "hold" a object with (optical) tweezers. What's your ideas, teacher?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a browse on the internet and got this:

Optical tweezers for a Bose-Einstein condensate... The condensate was produced in a magnetic trap by evaporative cooling and then loaded into an optical trap formed by a focused infrared laser beam.. By translating the focus of the laser beam, the condensate was moved over more than 40 cm into another vacuum chamber. There, the atoms were "handed over" to a magnetic trap formed by a single Z shaped wire, or loaded into an atom chip.

Could 'trap' be the word?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I had a browse on the internet and got this:

Optical tweezers for a Bose-Einstein condensate... The condensate was produced in a magnetic trap by evaporative cooling and then loaded into an optical trap formed by a focused infrared laser beam.. By translating the focus of the laser beam, the condensate was moved over more than 40 cm into another vacuum chamber. There, the atoms were "handed over" to a magnetic trap formed by a single Z shaped wire, or loaded into an atom chip.

Could 'trap' be the word?
    Dear tdol:

"trap" has another special meaning in this field. However, thank you very much.