Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: future perfect

  1. #11
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'd say no- use this:
    will have been losing

    This shows that something is partially complete (by filling the time period given), while being unfinished. 'going to be losing' doesn't work, IMO, as it doesn't carry the idea of a stage of completion.
    How about:
    • Unless things change in the next few months, the company is going to have lost money all year long.



  2. #12
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,065
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: future perfect

    [quote="RonBee"][quote="MikeNewYork"]
    Quote Originally Posted by jiz07
    Quote Originally Posted by jiz07
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Future perfect:
    • Do you think your work will be completed in time for dinner?


    The fishing boats [not go] out if the wind keeps blowing so strongly.

    I wrote The fishing boats are not going out if the wind keeps blowing so strongly. Is it Okay?
    Again, assuming you are asking about the future perfect tense, this needs a future time reference. There is none in this sentence.
    Hm. How about "The boats will not be going out today if the wind keeps blowing so strongly"?

    :)
    That's still not future perfect.

    How about "The boats will not have gone out today unless the winds stopped before noon."


  3. #13
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: future perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by jiz07

    The fishing boats [not go] out if the wind keeps blowing so strongly.

    I wrote The fishing boats are not going out if the wind keeps blowing so strongly. Is it Okay?
    Again, assuming you are asking about the future perfect tense, this needs a future time reference. There is none in this sentence.
    Hm. How about "The boats will not be going out today if the wind keeps blowing so strongly"?

    :)
    That's still not future perfect.

    How about "The boats will not have gone out today unless the winds stopped before noon."

    I'm not sure. I like my sentence better. (It seems more natural.) But I will bow to your expertise on what is and isn't future perfect. Perhaps Cas or Tdol will comment.

    :)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: future perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

    How about "The boats will not have gone out today unless the winds stopped before noon."

    I'm not sure. I like my sentence better. (It seems more natural.) But I will bow to your expertise on what is and isn't future perfect. Perhaps Cas or Tdol will comment.

    :)
    2. The fishing boats [not go] out if the wind keeps blowing so strongly

    [not go] ==> Future Perfect will not have gone

    Note, will becomes would where there's if.

    The fishing boats would not have gone out if the wind keeps blowing so strongly. :(

    ??

    :D

  5. #15
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,065
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: future perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by jiz07

    The fishing boats [not go] out if the wind keeps blowing so strongly.

    I wrote The fishing boats are not going out if the wind keeps blowing so strongly. Is it Okay?
    Again, assuming you are asking about the future perfect tense, this needs a future time reference. There is none in this sentence.
    Hm. How about "The boats will not be going out today if the wind keeps blowing so strongly"?

    :)
    That's still not future perfect.

    How about "The boats will not have gone out today unless the winds stopped before noon."

    I'm not sure. I like my sentence better. (It seems more natural.) But I will bow to your expertise on what is and isn't future perfect. Perhaps Cas or Tdol will comment.

    :)
    I didn't like my sentence at all. But it is future perfect. One shouldn't use the future perfect unless there is a reason to do so. Most commonly, that is an action that started in the past and will be completed before a specified time in the future.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: future perfect

    I don't like my sentence either. :(
    _________
    Sounds like a T-shirt saying:

    One shouldn't use the future perfect unless there is a reason to do so.

  7. #17
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,065
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: future perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    I don't like my sentence either. :(
    _________
    Sounds like a T-shirt saying:

    One shouldn't use the future perfect unless there is a reason to do so.
    :wink:

  8. #18
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    44,191
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm- grammar t-shirts.

  9. #19
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Hmm- grammar t-shirts.
    An interesting idea. When do they go on sale?

    :wink:

  10. #20
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    44,191
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope they don't go for the baseball cap,though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Future tenses or Future perfect tenses?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2006, 13:14
  2. future perfect / continuous
    By deer in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Jul-2004, 23:56
  3. future perfect
    By valtango in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2003, 10:04
  4. present future
    By valtango in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-Nov-2003, 21:17
  5. The Hidden Evidence: The Past Family
    By shun in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2003, 01:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •