Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question 3rd conditionals


    Hello to you all, am new to this site and desperatley hoping for some help! I am giving a lesson to a multilingual class on 3rd conditionals on Monday and was hoping someone - anyone!!- could please tell me what student problems I am likely to encounter.
    Many thanks in advance with your help!

  2. #2
    MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3rd conditionals

    Hello Cornishbird, welcome to UsingEnglish!

    The two particular problems I've noticed with conditionals generally are:

    1. A belief that every "if" statement must relate to one of the conditional types.

    Thus if-statements where the condition is granted/accepted, rather than proposed, may cause problems, e.g.

    a) If that was MrQ, we ought to leave. ("Why isn't it 'were'?")

    2. Puzzlement over certain type 2/type 3 or type 3/type 2 structures, e.g.

    b) If he were a little more astute, he wouldn't have made such a stupid mistake. ("Why isn't it 'had been'?")

    c) If he hadn't made such a stupid mistake, he would be here with us today. ("Isn't that 'mixed' and therefore ungrammatical?")

    Good luck!

    MrP

  3. #3
    keineahnung is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Re: 3rd conditionals

    hi, evryone!
    I'm from Mexico and hope to learn a great deal here on this page, why sometimes when I wach videos i found phrasel verbs ending with down or up and when i look them in the dictionary i don't find the phrasel verb but the verb only

    hope you answer me

  4. #4
    MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3rd conditionals

    Hello KA, welcome to Using English!

    Do you have any examples of the phrasal verbs you've heard in videos?

    All the best,

    MrP

  5. #5
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3rd conditionals

    Quote Originally Posted by cornishbird View Post
    Hello to you all, am new to this site and desperatley hoping for some help! I am giving a lesson to a multilingual class on 3rd conditionals on Monday and was hoping someone - anyone!!- could please tell me what student problems I am likely to encounter.
    Many thanks in advance with your help!
    We had the same question/problem/dilemma come up some time ago from another teacher and I posted a long description of one example of how to teach third conditionals. I can't seem to locate it, CB, but I'll keep looking and maybe one of the moderators will help.

  6. #6
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3rd conditionals

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    Hello Cornishbird, welcome to UsingEnglish!
    The two particular problems I've noticed with conditionals generally are:
    1. A belief that every "if" statement must relate to one of the conditional types.
    Thus if-statements where the condition is granted/accepted, rather than proposed, may cause problems, e.g.
    a) If that was MrQ, we ought to leave. ("Why isn't it 'were'?")
    2. Puzzlement over certain type 2/type 3 or type 3/type 2 structures, e.g.
    b) If he were a little more astute, he wouldn't have made such a stupid mistake. ("Why isn't it 'had been'?")
    c) If he hadn't made such a stupid mistake, he would be here with us today. ("Isn't that 'mixed' and therefore ungrammatical?")
    Good luck!
    MrP
    Good points, Mr P, no, actually excellent points. This is especially damaging for ESLs who seem to get hung up on the three conditionals and don't realize that life works in between them so language must too.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3rd conditionals

    Hi,
    Yes, II and III mixed are sometimes a problem. I've seen some heated discussion on which is correct:
    1. If I were you, I would have done the same.
    2. If I had been you, I would have done the same.
    My choice is #1.

  8. #8
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3rd conditionals

    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi,
    Yes, II and III mixed are sometimes a problem. I've seen some heated discussion on which is correct:
    1. If I were you, I would have done the same.
    2. If I had been you, I would have done the same.
    My choice is #1.
    How about these sentences:
    1. If I had been at the party I would have met a lot of new people.
    2. If I were at the party I would have met a lot of people.
    3. If I had been at the party I would meet a lot of people.
    What is your choice?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3rd conditionals

    A question for kids, Harry. #1 of course.

  10. #10
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3rd conditionals

    I am very happy that kids in your area know all types of conditionals. Some teachers don't. By the way what else do kids in your area know about mixed conditionals?
    Best wishes Harry Smith
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 08-Mar-2007 at 10:25.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Conditionals - open topic - more questions will be added.
    By forum_mail in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Jun-2006, 17:45
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-May-2006, 11:23
  3. conditionals
    By lisa*** in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Feb-2006, 05:26
  4. Conditionals in Past
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Apr-2004, 19:36
  5. Mixed Conditionals
    By Red5 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Nov-2003, 02:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •