matilda Guest

Talking 175-we needs it?

hello all

i was watching the movie ( the lord of the rings) with subtitle last week.
    in that movie, the actor of SMIGLE all the time uses WE with singular verb.
    it always says:
    we needs the ring......
    we thinks.......
    at first i thought i was hgearing the wrong thing. but after i checked the subtitle, i understood that i heard the correct thing.
    what do youthink about this?
    why should such thing happen in a famous movie with the best group of film making?
    the dirrector, actors, writer and all members of this movie are the bests in the world, and of course this is a film produced in Hollywood.
    does it have any particular reason?

please tell me the reason

thanks in advance

Matilda

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: 175-we needs it?

Quote Originally Posted by matilda
    hello all
    i was watching the movie ( the lord of the rings) with subtitle last week.
    in that movie, the actor of SMIGLE all the time uses WE with singular verb.
    it always says:
    we needs the ring......
    we thinks.......
    at first i thought i was hgearing the wrong thing. but after i checked the subtitle, i understood that i heard the correct thing.
    what do youthink about this?
    why should such thing happen in a famous movie with the best group of film making?
    Matilda
    Did it really say "we needs"?It should be "we need",right? well,I just think that to repeat its topic does help to emphasize the main idea of the movie,like we always hear the "Time of our lives" circling around during the elapsed Worldcup.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 175-we needs it?

Gollum, also known as Sméagol, speaks in a very peculiar non-standard English. That's deliberate: you have to remember that by the time Frodo meets Gollum, his mind has been severely disturbed and damaged by the ring.

Even before he found the ring, Sméagol (as he then was) used non-standard English constructions. Stereotypical of some uneducated country folk in some parts of England is confusion regarding various verb forms. The use of the third-person singular form (with the "-s") is seen as a typical pattern of speech among such speakers.

Gollum's speech reflects the fact that he was never properly educated, has been corrupted by the power of the ring and spent many years brooding over its loss.

Incidentally, it wasn't the film makers who did this: Lord of the Rings was written as a series of books in the 1940s by the highly respected fantasy author and linguist J.R.R. Tolkien, and Gollum's speech patterns in the film are very close to the way Tolkien wrote his dialogue.

matilda Guest

Talking Re: 175-we needs it?

thanks a million

it was one of my concerns