Thread: Fake interview

1. AlainK

Fake interview

I'm trying to write a fake interview to do a test that will go with a unit about jobs from a book I'll use next year.
    I know that native speakers can tell when a text was written by a non-native, so can you point out the mistakes, or what sounds awkward in the following piece of prose ?

My Nameís Shaun Hutchinson and Iím 18. I was born in Lancaster, in the north-west of England where Iíve spent most of my life. I have two younger sisters who are still at school, Fiona, 14, and Emmy, who is 12, and a twenty-eight-year-old brother who has been married for four years now.
    After the summer holidays, Iím going to university in the same town, to study accounting and finance. Actually, Iím keeping up the family tradition because both my father and my brother, work in a bank, my father in the accounts department, and my brother as a teller.
    At the moment, Iím working in a hotel in Biarritz. I got this job because my French is really bad and I would like to improve it, because more and more Britons travel to France, or even buy houses here because itís much cheaper Ėand sunnier, than in Britain. So I think that when I finish my studies it will be easier for me to find a job if I can speak another language, and anyway, this is Europe, like it or not, weíll have to speak other languages if we want to have good job opportunities.
    Most of the time, my job here is not very interesting, to be honest. I normally work with the maintenance team, you know, getting out the dustbins, emptying ashtrays in the smokersí lounge, and the like. Nothing really enthralling as you can see. But my colleagues are nice, there are other foreigners too, from Poland, Spain, Italy, they are students like me, doing a summer job to get a little extra money and we get along well together. And theyíre often easier to understand than the French who speak very fast, sometimes it sounds like the noise of a machine gun rather than a language!
    But all in all, itís a great experience. Itís the first time Iíve been abroad, and though the work is very tiring and we only have a day off, Iím trying to make the best out of it. For example, during our midday break, I can go to the beach which is only a five minutes walk from the hotel.
    And today is very special : not only Iím not working tonight, but I will meet my friends in a cafť to watch the World Cup final. I will support the French, so many of them play in English clubs, and anyway, England is out now. But if Italy wins, weíll celebrate all the same with our Italian Friends!
    Thanks!

Alain

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fake interview

twenty-eight-year-old brother who has been married- twenty-eight-year-old brother, who has been married
    my brother, work in a bank,- my brother work in a bank;
    –and sunnier,- make the punctuation consistent
    this is Europe, like it or not, we’ll have- this is Europe; like it or not we’ll have
    are nice, there are - ;
    it’s a great experience- I'd use the present perfect
    the beach which is- it would sound more natural with the comma to me unless it really is defining
    the French, so many-;

2. AlainK

Thanks a lot Tdol for taking the time to read this, er... very interesting interview

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome.