Thread: Background

Post Thanks / Like

Default Background

Would somebody please help me with my sentences?

The uncertainty of results also happened because researchers did not assess all possible outcome measures. For instance, a few researchers retrieved references cited to support claims but they evaluate them differently. Lexchin and Holbrook in a single country study retrieved and evaluated 114 references cited in 22 distinct advertisements and examine the methodological quality and relevance of references in pharmaceutical advertisements in Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ). Herxheimer et al. in a survey conducted in 18 countries retrieved and only reported the availability of references. Villaneuva et al. in a study conducted in Spain retrieved and reviewed 102 references supporting pharmaceutical claims in 264 advertisements. They assessed whether references supported the claims, financial source of the reference, design, impact factor of journal and outcome of the study.

Although researchers used different methods, focussed on different issues and did not measure all possible outcomes measure to evaluate the quality of information, all studies have shown similar results: low quality of information in pharmaceutical advertisements in medical journals. However, to date no systematic review is available summarizing the current body of evidence on the quality of advertising in medical journals, such as how accurate the supporting evidence is and how misleading the advertisements are because there are different types of pharmaceutical promotion control in every country.

Regards,

Dean

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Background

a few researchers retrieved references cited to support claims but they evaluate them differently. Lexchin and Holbrook in a single country study retrieved and evaluated 114 references cited in 22 distinct advertisements and examine the methodological quality and relevance of references in pharmaceutical advertisements in Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ).
    Tense inconsistency- I would use the present or the past, but not both, to stop the jumping back and forwards.
    financial source of the reference- this doesn't fit with 'supported' to me- I'd add a verb
    low quality- the
    are because there- are, because

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Background

Thanks Tdol.

Dean