• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Exams

Hi. What do you think of a person's language if you didn't met this person and just know that s/he has Cambridge (A) First Certificate, (B) Advanced, and (C) Proficiency? I know it's hard to say, but maybe?

Thanks,
    Nyggus

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Exams

A- able to communicate in both speech and writing, though will probably make many little mistakes
    B/C- makes some mistakes, but should be fairly fluent and often able to impress with command of language (there's not that much difference between the two exams)

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    A- able to communicate in both speech and writing, though will probably make many little mistakes
    B/C- makes some mistakes, but should be fairly fluent and often able to impress with command of language (there's not that much difference between the two exams)
    Well, I know some people with FC and I would say they might make many even big mistakes. As for Advanced/Profficiency, I've heared the latter is much more difficult to pass -- is it true? (I haven't even tried to pass any of A, B, and C, and I don't know if I feel like doing it [ok, I know I don't], though I am sure it might help me in future.)
    By the way, tdol, I think you might know (from this forum) my writing skills a bit, so could you write me more or less what my skills are? Would I have any problems with passing FC? (You might, however, not feel up to doing this, so feel free to reply to this question.)

Best,
    Nyggus

svartnik is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus
    Well, I know some people with FC and I would say they might make many even big mistakes. As for Advanced/Profficiency, I've heared the latter is much more difficult to pass -- is it true? (I haven't even tried to pass any of A, B, and C, and I don't know if I feel like doing it [ok, I know I don't], though I am sure it might help me in future.)
    By the way, tdol, I think you might know (from this forum) my writing skills a bit, so could you write me more or less what my skills are? Would I have any problems with passing FC? (You might, however, not feel up to doing this, so feel free to reply to this question.)
    Best,
    Nyggus
    I have sat CAE in June and I am now preparing for the CPE exam in December.
    Proficiency is one of the toughest exams for non-natives and therefore it is widely acclaimed throughout the world and is accepted as proof of competence in the English language by many English or American universities.
    At CAE and CPE you have to be very responsive throughout the exam.
    You have very short time to do many tasks.
    The texts are very complex and if you miss a subtle nuance you may end up realizing you do not know whether you are comming or going.
    Consequently, many natives tested failed CPE.
    You can have vast vocabulary and perfect grammatical knowledge and still fail. On the other hand, it is not always the lexical knowledge that differentiates winners from losers.
    Moreover, if you are a slow reader -- less then 200 words per minute -- you will in all probability be unsuccessful.
    Visit http://www.flo-joe.co.uk

Svartnik

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Nyggus, you should be able to do FCE without any trouble, though if you're not familiar with it, it is important to get to know the exam.

Post Thanks / Like

HI ,hi,in our China,there are Cambridge Business English Certificate(BEC),what you said I have heard of.I will attend the test of BEC.So I am in urgent need to improve my English,especially my spoken English and listening.It is a good site.