Thread: 'A' or no 'A'

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation 'A' or no 'A'

Hi,
    I am a preschool teacher.In my classroom I posted a 'Thank you' note for the parents today.It was like: Thank you for making our visit to the zoo a fun yesterday.One of my co-workers said,there should not be any 'a' before fun(That means,it should be written like'Thank you ........to the zoo fun yesterday).
    Is she right?(I cannot accept the omission of the article before fun.)
    Thank you.
    Chhutun

Avalon is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: 'A' or no 'A'

Iīd agree with your friend...thereīs no A.One says the party was fun ,so I guess that the parents made the going to the zoo fun, or a fun event.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'A' or no 'A'

Thank you for your reply.
    My question is:why is the use of 'a' incorrect(other than the fact that we don't use it in our conversation)?Microsoft spell-check& grammar highlights the word 'fun'(with red--which it usually does,when there is an error.) when it is not preceded by 'a';on the other hand,there is no red or anything shown when I put 'a' before 'fun'.
    I am confused.

Avalon is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: 'A' or no 'A'

Well,I wouldnīt rely so much on these softwares...when I typed the sentence it underlined it in green and the suggestion was to change it to FUN which is what was already written . one says a lot of fun, a fun person to be with ,a fun thing to do ,have fun! etc...However, I might be wrong and the software right , letīs see if anybody else has a say about this...

DavyBCN is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'A' or no 'A'

Quote Originally Posted by Janaina Volker
    Well,I wouldnīt rely so much on these softwares...when I typed the sentence it underlined it in green and the suggestion was to change it to FUN which is what was already written . one says a lot of fun, a fun person to be with ,a fun thing to do ,have fun! etc...However, I might be wrong and the software right , letīs see if anybody else has a say about this...

You are totally correct Janaina - no a in this case. Your advice on not relying on software to check grammar is also very wise. Have fun is a collocation which does not need the a - such as make music, have success, do homework, etc.