• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default aufwiedersehu, adieu and Buona Noche

Dear teachers,

I have two questions:

1. I was watching the film the Sound of Music when I came across some words or ex pressions that I don't understand. So I read the s cripts. The words are:
    'aufwiedersehu' and 'adieu'in the Sound of Music.F rom the context I think they mean 'Goodbye'.If the y are, could you 
    please explain the difference between 
    the two? And are they German 
    vocabulary? 

3.The same happend when I was watching Rome Holida y.The words are:
      Buona Noche.From the context I 
    guessed it means'Goodbye' or something like that.  Since it happened in Rome I guess it is Italian. B ut as far as I 
    know, there is a word 'ciao'in Italian 
    which means 'Goodybye'.Could please 
    explain the difference between the two?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: aufwiedersehu, adieu and Buona Noche

"Auf Wiedersehen" is German for "goodbye" (literally, it means "Until [we] see [each other] again").

"Adieu" is French, and is what you say when you are saying "goodbye" to someone for the very last time (literally: "to God"); you don't expect to see them ever again. The normal phrase is "Au revoir" (which means the same as the German) -- but of course, this was a song and it was more important to find words that actually fitted and rhymed.

Incidentally, the nearest English equivalent to "adieu" is "farewell", although that can also be said when one of the people is going on a very long journey and hopes to return.

The Italian phrase is "buonanotte" and it actually means "good night". "Buenas noches" is Spanish, but means the same thing (Spanish and Italian are very closely related).

In Italian, "Ciao" can mean "goodbye", but it can also mean "hello". "Ciao" is really informal, although I think it is no longer used only in informal situations. The formal phrase for "goodbye" in Italian is "arrivederci", which means the same as the German phrase.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear rewboss,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.
    May I ask another question? Spanish is used in the film in Rome does it mean because Italian and Spanish are closely related that people in the two countries can understand each other if they speak simple Italian or Spanish?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by rewboss
    "Auf Wiedersehen" is German for "goodbye" (literally, it means "Until [we] see [each other] again").

"Adieu" is French, and is what you say when you are saying "goodbye" to someone for the very last time (literally: "to God"); you don't expect to see them ever again. The normal phrase is "Au revoir" (which means the same as the German) -- but of course, this was a song and it was more important to find words that actually fitted and rhymed.

Incidentally, the nearest English equivalent to "adieu" is "farewell", although that can also be said when one of the people is going on a very long journey and hopes to return.

The Italian phrase is "buonanotte" and it actually means "good night". "Buenas noches" is Spanish, but means the same thing (Spanish and Italian are very closely related).

In Italian, "Ciao" can mean "goodbye", but it can also mean "hello". "Ciao" is really informal, although I think it is no longer used only in informal situations. The formal phrase for "goodbye" in Italian is "arrivederci", which means the same as the German phrase.

Post Thanks / Like

it is not that easy for italians and spaniards to understand each other.
    let's say that a french speaking person can understand italian quite rapidly, a portuguese can understand spanish (but a spanish can't understand portuguese, hence numerous jokes) but that really is about it.

and remember the written language is always far easier to understand than the spoken language.

for instance, i understand written portuguese quite well but i can absolutely not understand spoken portuguese.
    i can read italian quite easily and try to make a very basic conversation.
    when chatting on the internet with spaniards, they very often mistake me for one of theirs but my orals skills are only decent.

and i'm french.