sheena55ro Guest

Default Is it possible ?

Hi!

Is it possible to use future tense in a time or conditional [type I] clause ?

Here is the sentence :

e.g. I don`t know when she will arrive.

As far as I know ,we are not supposed to use this tense here, but can it be used when "will" expresses "willingness" ? Maybe the sentence used as an example is not the best choice. Are there any situations in which we can use future simple tense in such types of subordinate clauses?

Thank you

DavyBCN is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is it possible ?

Quote Originally Posted by sheena55ro
    Hi!
    Is it possible to use future tense in a time or conditional [type I] clause ?
    Here is the sentence :
    e.g. I don`t know when she will arrive.
    As far as I know ,we are not supposed to use this tense here, but can it be used when "will" expresses "willingness" ? Maybe the sentence used as an example is not the best choice. Are there any situations in which we can use future simple tense in such types of subordinate clauses?
    Thank you
    Your example is perfectly correct. You could also say "I don't know when she is going to arrive" or "I don't know when she arrives(present simple used for future events". Remember that conditionals 0, 1 and 2 relate to future time in one way or another, so no problem with using a variety of future forms.

sheena55ro Guest

Default Re: Is it possible ?

Thank you very much for clarifying that ,Davy.