"in such way" vs "in such a way"

• Thread starter conjurer
  • Start date
  • Views : 133,995
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

conjurer

do you think that "in such way" is wrong grammar? I've tried searching the web but no information on this issue...

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you have a sentence in which it is used? In any case, I don't think "in such way" is good English. However, "in such a way" would be okay, depending on context.

:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could also use the plural, where appropriate, but I'd use it with an indefinite article in the singular. ;-)

C

conjurer

hehe, I agree with you... the thing is, I'm having a hard time convincing some people that "in such way" is bad english.. especially since I can't find written rules about this anywhere on the net.

That's why I can't give you a sentence - I just wondered if there is a general law about this..

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Way'is a countable noun and 'such' takes an indefinite article with an uncountable- just as you'd say 'such a day', not 'such day' in most circumstances, then the same is true of way. ;-)

C

conjurer

thanks for that explanation...

What do u think of:

"in such way that I would be able to do something"

This one doesn't sound "bad english" to me.. at least not as
"I can always do this in such way"

Then again, I'm not a native speaker.. :)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I did a Google search for some complete sentences containing the phrase in question. Please see the results below.

C

conjurer

I also did some research before coming here :)

I came upon some interesting facts. For example, the phrase "in such a way" was used about 1.5 mil times, as opposed to about 30,000 times for "in such way". However, those 30,000 hits included a cite from the Bible, a statement of her majesty, and some other "trustful" sources of information :)

That's why, I didn't regard this research as good enough to prove my point... well.. My guess is that the English language changes (we all know that), and the phrase "in such way" gets more and more accepted, although it is not gramatically correct according to the currently set rules.. don't you think?:)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
conjurer said:
I also did some research before coming here :)

I came upon some interesting facts. For example, the phrase "in such a way" was used about 1.5 mil times, as opposed to about 30,000 times for "in such way". However, those 30,000 hits included a cite from the Bible, a statement of her majesty, and some other "trustful" sources of information :)

That's why, I didn't regard this research as good enough to prove my point... well.. My guess is that the English language changes (we all know that), and the phrase "in such way" gets more and more accepted, although it is not gramatically correct according to the currently set rules.. don't you think?:)

Yes. It's complicated, isn't it? Certainly, in speech there is a tendency to elide certain syllables. For example, you probably won't hear the second e spoken in everyone and everything. I would keep the second a in in such a way if only because it is more euphonious that way. (It sounds better.) Of course, that is just my opinion, but that opinion seems to be shared by many. (I suspect that some people who do not pronounce the second a in in such a way do not consciously omit it, but they "swallow" the second a.)

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.