Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Tide is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with the forum

Yes,the lady asked me ,too.She wanted me to help her transfere a larg amount of money.but I didn't.I said her it was not intelectual...
    Maybe she was lokking for someone she could trust.And who is more reliable than a teacher?But one can not trust everybody to do9 whatever she wants !

But sometimes you can't find sb. in the forum,you can mail him/her and he/she notices and contacts you.this is a good property,isn't it?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Tide, who asked you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    We are trying to write a new guide for new members of the forum. If you have any suggestions or comments from your experience about what was good and what was bad about joining the forum and starting to use it, please share them here.

Thank you very much

Red5 & Tdol
    Hi everybody!
    I'm a new member, English teacher, for five years in primary, one year in secondary school, graduated from English Language and Literature of the university.I like this site very much.I improve my English.I read the threads, explanations almost every day.And I try to write and reply.It's very useful for me. I didn't come upon any difficulties or unexpectedly thing up to now.Thank you very much for everything.
    Now, I have no idea, but if I have, I will exactly suggest.
    Best Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very pleased to be a junior member now.Yupppiiii

vichet is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Help with the forum

Quote Originally Posted by havythoai View Post
    Dear tdol,

I see that seems only you who are active in entire forums.

I'm very satisfied with your forum, in particular the "Edit& writing essay" forum, it's very useful ... All I suggest that need more some teachers to correct a mess of member's essay .

thank you

vichet is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Help with the forum

teacher can u help me ??

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Can you please help changing my Username (nickname)?

I would like to change it to "loveenglish".

Reason for change request: This username "LEMKA" is also used in a number of other forums so I am afraid it may cause confusion.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Lemka, please check your email; I have written to you about changing your name.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    We are trying to write a new guide for new members of the forum. If you have any suggestions or comments from your experience about what was good and what was bad about joining the forum and starting to use it, please share them here.

Thank you very much

Red5 & Tdol
    Nothing particular about joining the forum, though I have already mentioned to Tdol my thoughts on adding a new category of members: Retired.

This thought is rather on being in the forum/threads. It seems to me that a minority of members post their questions in inappropriate places. There is no malice aforethought, but it is mildly annoying to crotchety old has-beens like me. It's possible that such members miss out on answers from people who look only in areas that interest them.

If you are producing a new guide, perhaps you could consider some additional guidelines on selecting the appropriate place to post questions - and also on looking back through recent threads to see if the question has already been answered AND (my normal fault - I can't stop once I've started) a heavy-handed pointer to FAQs - AND a recommendation to break multi-question postings into separate, aptly subject-titled, posts AND - OK, I'll stop.

Almost. Just want to add that I continue to be impressed by the quality of UsingEnglish.com. I wish it had been around when I was a beginner and/or I wish I'd discovered it while I was still actually in the classroom. My congratulations, and thanks, to all involved in producing this.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean- we can move threads and do, but it's hard to get them all. I am afraid that this is something that is going to be hard to deal with- people don't read FAQs and not that many search before posting. When I see forums that refuse to answer the same question twice, I feel a mixture of envy and dislike- I admire the clarity, but feel there's unfriendliness too. Also, getting rid of the flow of spam always comes first, and we spend a ridiculous amount of time getting rid of it.

FAQs, RTFM, etc, are all great in theory, but practice does tend to show a different picture. If anyone has a workable idea to get people to read them and comply without being authoritarian, don't post it here because you will be able to sell the idea for billions.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast