Thread: collocations

Magdalena S. Guest

collocations

I can't find out which adjective collocate with weather, criticism, flavour- mild? Can we descirbe flavour as fierce? What about a verb collating with ambition, assets, dream- to hold, have? Big, heartfelt, grateful, sincere and warm:)thanks!

matilda Guest

Talking Re: collocations

i use a dictionary calls (collocations dictionary). it's one of oxford products.
    use it.
    it can be usefull

magdalena is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: collocations

I did use it yet nothing seems right (either I am blind or there are no collocations common for these words in the dictionary). :)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh maybe I was not clear enough. I need one adjective collocating with all of the following : weather, cricitism, flavour. Mild and firce are my favourites but I am not sure whether we may describe criticism as mild and flavour as fierce :). I m also looking for a verb collocating with: an ambition, assets, a dream- can it be simply hold or have? Thanks again:)

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever used a CONCORDANCER, Magdalena? Open a window for each word, and see what matches--

1 ass, is impervious to all kinds of weather, and will not yellow. Its high imp
    2 ward the center; it was mud in wet weather and dust, ankle-deep, in dry, and
    3 e possible, as with lightning and weather and earthquakes, the appropriate k
    4 ld suffer in the muggy Washington weather, and he had to return to the dry c
    5 the fighter pilot's horror of bad weather and instrument flying, and he wond
    6 from the rain or other inclement weather, and some of them left momentoes o
    7 outboard motorists welcome cooler weather and the chance to buzz over Colora
    8 e pattern despite the vagaries of weather and the lack of ground facilities a
    9 st be given to improvement in the weather and to the fact that Easter comes
    10 ercent to fire, and 18 percent to weather, animals, and various other causes.
    11 help of extra fertilizer and good weather, are getting such high yields per a
    12 ves seemed to regard really filthy weather as a kind of Pyhrric victory over
    13 ling a pool is likely to be in bad weather as well as in good. In the colder
    14 roblem of baseball at one end and weather at the other". Nine of the leag
    15 ng to the board of health. The weather bureau has estimated that radioacti
    16 ather picture from the Burlington Weather Bureau supervised by Frank E& Hartw
    17 oat, hardly necessary in the June weather but a garment which proved well ada
    18 here has been discussion of local weather but no mention of snow, dominant s
    19 ve handling, vaccination, extreme weather conditions: 350 milligrams per head

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a strange thing! And funny. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

You can use "mild" to describe both criticism and weather; you may also use "fierce" to describe the weather and criticism (although you ought to bear in mind that the clearly apparent human connotations of the word will lend objective and inanimate subjects a kind of anthropomorphism that will take the sentence into the metaphoric). For instance, you can describe the weather as "fierce" because of its erratic and intimidating expressions, which is suggestive of a temperament. The same can be said of "criticism", which suggests that the one critizing was particularly scathing and was not lenient.

You can also have a "mild" flavour as that is about the degree of the flavour. However, I would advise you don't use the phrase "fierce flavour". While we would all understand you perfectly well (and I'm sure it has been printed many times) if you did, it would sound colloquial. Informally it is acceptable, although you should note the new trend in England where people (esp. Londoners) are beginning to use the term "fierce" in the affirmative to mean "great", rather than unpleasant.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! That was fierce!

Avalon is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Like what happened to the word "wicked". Itīs originally bad but with the time it changed to good!
    Thereīs a site I love about words called the word detective by Evan Morris! Check it out, heīs very witty!

www.word-detective.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    Like what happened to the word "wicked". Itīs originally bad but with the time it changed to good!
    Thereīs a site I love about words called the word detective by Evan Morris! Check it out, heīs very witty!

The Word Detective
    The website is super!!
    Thanks a million