• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Libya
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Disapproving

Hi to everyone

When I look up some words in the dictionary, I find this word " disapproving" for the other meaning of some words, in my knowledge, that word mean that the other meaning is not used alot, Am I right!!?
    For example; look at the word' collaborate in Cambridge Dictionary, the second meaning is defined as disapproving.

Thanks

sheena55ro Guest

Re: Disapproving

Quote Originally Posted by zaed_salah
    Hi to everyone
    When I look up some words in the dictionary, I find this word " disapproving" for the other meaning of some words, in my knowledge, that word mean that the other meaning is not used alot, Am I right!!?
    For example; look at the word' collaborate in Cambridge Dictionary, the second meaning is defined as disapproving.
    Thanks

collaborate was found in the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary at the entries listed below.

collaborate (WORK WITH)
    collaborate (SUPPORT AN ENEMY)

3 entries found for collaborate.
    col∑lab∑o∑rate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-lb-rt)
    intr.v. col∑lab∑o∑rat∑ed, col∑lab∑o∑rat∑ing, col∑lab∑o∑rates
    To work together, especially in a joint intellectual effort.
    To cooperate treasonably, as with an enemy occupation force in one's country.

Another source: Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

collaborate

v 1: work together on a common enterprise of project; "The soprano and the pianist did not get together very well"; "We joined forces with another research group" [syn: join forces, cooperate, get together] 2: cooperate as a traitor; "he collaborated with the Nazis when they occupied Paris"

Ah, I think I understand now. You talk about the other meaning of collaborate , don`t you? Well, there are many many words in every language which have several other meanings.This is a very large topic and it is called Semantics. Take , for instance the verb "learn"

e.g. I have been learning English since 1989.[ it means I studied it and still do ]
    I `ve learnt that you are not going to the mountains anymore.[ it means I undestand that/ found out that]

Regards,
    Last edited by sheena55ro; 28-Jul-2006 at 21:39.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    I think Sheena misunderstood Zaed Salah . The note disapproving means that the word has a negative tint. For example, if you say
    X works together with Y - itís neutral.
    X collaborates with Y ( in the context of the war in Iraq) - itís disapproving.
    Actually, Sheena gave the other meaning, and, naturally, everybody disapproves of helping the enemy.
    Good dictionaries always explain what tint or connotations words have.
    Best wishes.

zaed_salah is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Libya
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Thank you, Sheena and Humble.
    Yes, that is what I am looking for Humble, meaning of disapproving.
    So, the other meaning of collaborate ( work together) has negative meaning, and if look up some words in Cambridge dictionary, you will see that some other meaning for words are marked as ' Disapproving).

Regards